Thread: shortcut arrows

shortcut arrows

The little black and white arrows on my shortcut icons sometimes change to a different icon that may (or may not) be on my desktop. The regular icon is there, but the little arrow is replaced by something else. I know there's a registry setting or setup option to change the arrow to something else, but why would it just change on it's own? Running Win98firstedition. Thanks

Because windows also supports kb commands it is not that hard to accidently change a setting. If you have a cat, pet mongoose or curious monkey, have a serious talk with the critter. If it is changing at random times you have a gremlin in there. These critters are not to be taken lightly. A thorough scandisc and defrag might chase it out.

Thanks, guys! I scan and defrag 2-3 times a WEEK (my only anal-complusive habit, really... honest!)

I think the culprit was the latest update from WinAmp that I had on my system for weeks, but just installed it the night before. I know the first time I put WinAmp on my system, for whatever reason it did weird things to some of the icons for a while. The strange thing was that the icons were all correct, but the little white arrow would change into something else. Thank you to Buji, too. The Max Cached Icon setting made a big difference in the "snap" of the desktop boot-up and refresh. All the icons just pop on instead of gradually filling in.

Now I'm getting a "Port Already Open" error occasionally when attempting to dial out w/modem. I'm still using Waterfall Pro Cooling utility and it's trying to fire up the modem on bootup to "download update" but that site is long gone. I'll do a little experimenting.