Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: win Xp pro or Win 2000pro

win Xp pro or Win 2000pro

Hello.which operation are the best
    win xp pro or win 2000pro.
    thanks in advance
    laters,nadine

WinXP has features that Win2K cannot match. If you have a 1Ghz processor or faster, I recommend XP. If the PC is not that strong, Win2K will be a better choice.

I still love Win2K.
    MS MCP, MCSE

XP home and save a load of cash

XP Pro has less compatability issues, easier configuration, more filing system choices and (apparently) more stability than 2K pro (???). The only drawback is, activation can be a bummer if you can't get a corporate copy.

Geez, Strawbs, you make Win2K sound like Windows for Workgroups!

As WinXP drivers are issued, those same drivers work in Win2K and the compatibility difference (if there ever was one) goes away. Besides...does Win2K crash on setup with a 4-year old BIOS? No. WinXP does.

Easier configuration? You like those dumb wizards? I despise them and find Win2K much easier to set up. Sharing folders is a perfect example.

There are no filing system differences between Win2K and WinXP. They both offer NTFS, FAT32 and FAT16.

Oops...forgot about the stabilty question. Frankly, as an MCSE, I don't see a difference. They have parity in this area.

Remember that WinXP is really just Win2K with System Restore, a bunch of wizards and some wireless features built in - along with the eye candy. Underneath that, they are essentially the same OS. The difference is that Win2K will run on just about anything 200Mhz and up w/128-256MB RAM. So much for compatibility.

As a Windows 2000 MCSE, I feel that I must stand up for my "baby".
    Last edited by BipolarBill; 05-01-2002 at 02:36 PM.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I couldn't run Win 2K, but XP runs without a hitch, , I'm not saying that XP is better than 2K, just that my experience of 2K was painful, XP's compatability wizard allows more software to run than 2K could ever shake a stick at, as for eye candy 2K looks like a stripped out racer, and XP a Rolls Royce, yep!! 2K, the corporate pit-pony.
    Last edited by Strawbs; 05-01-2002 at 02:59 PM.

Explanation and opinion accepted gracefully.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Here is a Site to help you decide.. But this site belongs to MS so you know the one they push.

XP Home serves my needs.
    So far, for the last 5 months it has almost been perfect.

Almost..... until a couple weeks ago it had never froze. I tried running Disk Error check (chkdsk), it completed OK but then froze when it tried to reboot. Seems XP has a error in this for I read several people having the same problem.

Activation is only a bummer if you are not willing to pay for the OS. Whats a bummer about spending 20 seconds on a toll free number to activate it?

Also people get the Pro version wrongly thinking its superior to the home edition. if you are going to pay for it dont waste your cash on the pro version unless you really need the couple of extras it offers

If you consider SMP and the ability of running old 16-bit DOS code as a "couple of extras it offers", then go for Home Edition

Some inside stuff and don't tell anyone I told it to you : Greatest M$ engineer working for some BIG company IT support himself told me Home Edition got issues, and it's not just something you can fix with SP. I can't tell you any more, you'll have just to believe me (and my own experience, when I had to reinstall WinXP Pro instead of Home Edition on all the 5 (five) machines I tried it on ... one can't expect me to believe everything M$ dudez say, but just this time he was right on this one ).

Alnath said
    Activation is only a bummer if you are not willing to pay for the OS. Whats a bummer about spending 20 seconds on a toll free number to activate it?
    You will find out when you make an attempt to do a major upgrade to your system, and microsoft tells you that it believes you are trying to install it on a second computer, and you must prove it's the same one or pay again.

so ND what is it .. Security, Filing system? is it something i could read on somewhere else , come on! your amongst friends here. , we can keep a secret, can't we people!!!
    Last edited by Strawbs; 05-02-2002 at 08:57 AM.

Personally, I'd take XP Pro over 2K in most situations. Compatibility is better overall, and there are things I can do with it that I can't do with 2K. And I've got the hardware to back it up...

I believe ND is right about XP Home though. Althought M$ has claimed up and down that XP Home & XP Pro are one in the same, aside from Pro having better network capabilities and supporting dual processor configs, etc, I'm starting to think that Home has had a bit too much stripped out of it, and M$ "broke it" i the process. I've seen identical PCs running XP Pro on one and Home on the other and Home has problems that Pro doesn't have...nothing major that I've personaly noticed, just things that make me go "Hmmmm...".
    I am disrespectful to dirt!

Originally posted by ND
    If you consider SMP and the ability of running old 16-bit DOS code as a "couple of extras it offers", then go for Home Edition
    as you mentiond 2 things and if you have no intention of using them what would you suggest i call them?

Originally posted by Strawbs
    You will find out when you make an attempt to do a major upgrade to your system, and microsoft tells you that it believes you are trying to install it on a second computer, and you must prove it's the same one or pay again.
    You sound like you have not used WPA.
    I have added:
    New HD
    256MB of extra RAM
    GF3 Ti-200
    DVD Drive
    Faster CD-RW
    And so far nothing, windows has yet to complain and i reckon that some of these items are now out of 120 day limit so i could also change the CPU and MOBO should i wish without penalty.

I am as suss about M$ as the next guy but WPA is the most over hyped piece of scaremongering anyone ever aimed at M$.

Alnath says:
    I am as suss about M$ as the next guy but WPA is the most over hyped piece of scaremongering anyone ever aimed at M$.
    M$ has used underhand tactics to meet it's own ends in the past, and I for one have no doubt they will again, as soon as people believe that Activation isn't a problem, and so encourage others to buy XP without worry of it, we all become vulnerable to accept anything M$ wishes to dish up.
    My Original quote stated that Product Activation "CAN" be a bummer. I stand by that statement.

I have infact installed XP Home and Pro on a few friends systems (thier own copies, not mine), and after warning them about future upgrades, Activated the products for some of them, non of these people have upgraded as yet, if they do, I will probably be the one that performs those upgrades.
    M$ didn't go to the trouble\cost of developing and having us accept Activation, without the intention to use it. it will be used when the take up of XP is more widespread. But then you being so "suss" of M$, I'm not telling you anything you don't already know!

Hi:I bought an XP pro Corporate
    and win 2000pro SP2 .
    so my question is:do I have To activate the Win XP
    Corporate also
    or not
    on the other Hand which win XP require activation
    thanks
    laters,nadine