Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is truly the heart of your system ?

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by Strat
    Okay heres my legacy.....

CPU - Brain - A **** one means ****ness all around.

Mobo - Heart - Without, there is no action.

IDE/Power Cables - Veins&Arteries - Linking vital organs of sillicon.

OS - Blood - It needs to be running all the time.

HDD/Memory - Mind - Storage and feelings, my computer usually crashes by exceptions in RAM frequencies (when it rarely crashes).

Vid Card - Eyes - Very Important, can make or break how hot girls look, in real life/on the screen.

PSU - Digestive system, convertion of raw power to useable resources.

HS/Fans - Clothing - Some are frilly but generally, most do the same job.
    Strat,
    I like that!!! Great analogies. Only suggestion... maybe the HS/fans should be the persperation (sweat) glands, needed to keep our bodies from overheating, especially under high activity and stress...
    jmichna

You guys all overlooked the most important aspect, the operator. Without you there is no life in the thing at all.

Originally posted by gibsinep
    Another vote for OS, without mr. gates how many people do you think would have computers. Sure their is Linux, but could your grandma learn it? or your Mom?
    Yes they could acually. Linux can be set up to be almost as user friendly as Windows. Anyways, how do you think they learned Windows the first time? They didnt already know it obviously. It would just be like starting fresh like we all did at one point in time with Windows.
    -Rob Jerina
    System Specs:
    AMD Tbird 1.2ghz 200mhz FSB
    OCZ PC150 256mb SDRAM
    IBM DeskStar 60GXP 60gb 7200rpm
    Hercules ProphetII MX 32MB Dual-Display Video
    Creative SBLive X-Gamer

obviously the saying about the whole being more than the parts is true..

but the heart and soul of my system is the CPU/MB inside...
    Intel 2.2 Northwood
    ASUS P4B266-C
    512MB Crucial DDR
    2 40GB WD HDDs
    32x10x40x velocd
    16x LiteOn DVD-ROM
    ATi 32MB DDR
    SB Audigy Platinum
    Enlight 7237/340 case
    Windows XP Pro

i would say it depends on your system. If it is an all on board jobie then your mboard is the most important part.....I guess a computer will not run without any component (or run for only a short time), so maybe the most important part of your computer isn't the computer but as someone has said the operator (assuming an operator been client pc (i.e. network) or direct human contact.

Stefan
    Stefan

The person that uses it!
    Cause without me it might be loaded up with the newest OS, the beefiest graphics card,3 gigs of ddr mem, OC'd and cool runnin mon. But without me to give it direction it's just a pretty cool looking, rather expensive paperweight.
    Last edited by bushmaster; 05-02-2002 at 03:35 PM.

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by ukulele
    You guys all overlooked the most important aspect, the operator. Without you there is no life in the thing at all.
    NOT!!!
    My pcs run SETI all day without me within miles of them... useful work, with no operator

I'd say the HD. Not only is that the thing that most frequently fails, but its also the bottleneck in most advanced systems. I WISH i had some sort of magic guarantee that could promie me that my HD would never fail or get corrupted - I'd be willing to pay a lot for it

Magnetic disk technology is so **** old and outdated, its time for companies to find something new (and something that is as cheap)

NOT!!! My pcs run SETI all day without me within miles of them... useful work, with no operator
    Yes, but who loaded and set up that proggie to run all day whilst your miles away.

Ode to my Computer

I am your GOD... I am your SLAVE. Together we prance in Cyber-Space. I love to push your Button and commence our Digital-Embrace... Ode to my Computer.

The monitor. If it sucks you will get a headache at the end of the day. Next I would say the mouse and then the keyboard. Those are the three parts of the computer you interact with directly.

Without a doult, my computer's heart is...Me!!!

I just wonder how it will function without me to operate it. H*ll, I wonder how it will become one piece without me.

Ha~ just kidding

Originally posted by flyingV
    Without a doult, my computer's heart is...Me!!!

I just wonder how it will function without me to operate it. H*ll, I wonder how it will become one piece without me.

Ha~ just kidding
    You have a good point...

It's got to be the chipset. Without this you really have nothing. The chipset dictates what you can put into your case, what cpus you can buy or upgrade, how fast of ram or type you can use, what speed of HD, ect.

One of my non computer geeky mates just saw me reading the replies and said ' The heart of my computer (Duron 1.2) is Winamp, without it my computer is useless to me'.

Lol all he does is download and listen to MP3's but hes got a point, how much fun do MP3 players on your PC create
    ''I like violence and boobs, therefore am mature''