Thread: Need Computer Help?

Need Computer Help?

If you need a quick answer or an indepth "live" help session, then check out MSN Chat Room. I'm usually in there, especially late at night (9pm-2am PST) and there are other helpfull hosts (the ones with the hammers).

I've spent a lot of time over the last 2 nights helping a newbie fdisk his corrupt harddrive, and last night we spent 4 hours trying to get his soundcard cdrom drive working under DOS to install Windows. Tonight we're going to continue working on the cdrom, I think we're close to getting it working.

I will have to check it out.
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    If this is on a volunteer basis then its commendable that your doing this or going so far with it considering the amt. of time your spending. While I configure customers pc's for cable I offer a few tweaks or advice since noboby knows nothing. Most customers lets say have a 17" screen yet they never get around to stretching there screen to use all available space so while I'm loading an app I'll stretch it and there amazed, which goes to show most users don't know anything about computers and I see this everyday.

Keep up the good work!

yeah some people are just computer stupid.

thats why the world needs people like use.
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

What all ways gets me is a friends or relitives computer and there on the desk top is all the garbage that comes with a new computer. Its like seeing garbage strewn all over some ones front yard. But they insist that they need it all, even though they have cable internet they still need that aol and msn and all the others internet startup Icons lol

Originally posted by cook_n
    What all ways gets me is a friends or relitives computer and there on the desk top is all the garbage that comes with a new computer.
    I know what you mean, but WORSE than that is the friggin' 640x480 video mode!! I know someone with a 19" monitor that leaves the screen on the default 640x480. I switched it to 1024x768, and he complained he couldn't read the screen, so I put it on 800x600.

A few days later, his computer was back to 640x480!! I asked him what happened.. He said that he asked someone else to put it back because AN IMAGE HE USED AS WALLPAPER WOULDN'T FIT ON THE ENTIRE SCREEN!!! I showed him how to 'stretch' the wallpaper, and he was cool with it, but changed it back AGAIN, so I gave up. Of course this same person complains to me because he has a hard time getting all his stupid 'MSN' and '70 hours of AOL FREE!' icons to fit, not to mention some of his programs.
    Frickin' retard. When you have to move the display properties dialog box so you can click on 'OK' at the bottom, your screen resolution should probably be increased just a tad!

Sorry. I'm okay now. Thank you all!
    blah.

Originally posted by cook_n
    What all ways gets me is a friends or relitives computer and there on the desk top is all the garbage that comes with a new computer. Its like seeing garbage strewn all over some ones front yard. But they insist that they need it all, even though they have cable internet they still need that aol and msn and all the others internet startup Icons lol
    I know what you mean, I don't even ask them. If they want me to work on their computer I tell them I have to get rid of all that **** in order to properly evaluate any problems with their system. The garbage goes or I go...H

Good job man! Here is a thread to check out if you do indeed get a bit of time. Help!