Thread: Simple(?) Outlook Express problem.

Simple(?) Outlook Express problem.

I'm trying to help out a friend of mine here. His problem is with Outlook, which I do not really know. I use Eudora.

His problem is how to change the size of the typeface/font, of the message, when it is printed. There is no problem with the size of the font on the screen. But when it is printed, it is always large. About 16 to 18 point. The headers are always printed in a small font.

I must admit that I feel a bit stupid in asking this question, but I couldn't find a way to handle it.

Any ideas?

Change the font to print

On the File menu, click Print.

In the Print style box, click the print style you want to use.

Click Page Setup.

Under Fonts, select the options you want.
    MS MCP, MCSE

BipolarBil, Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately it does not work in this case.

We have Outlook Express version 5. The available options, after clicking on "Print", do not include anything like "Print Style". Neither can we find any option for "Page Setup".

The only areas we can find that refer to "Font", are:
    (i) "Tools"->"Options"->"Read"
    and,
    (ii) "Tools"->"Options"->"Compose".

Both of these appear to control the screen display, not the printed copy.

Sorry...I saw "Outlook" in the body of the post.

Just how big is this font? I just printed from OE 6 and it looks like a normal 10-pt font.

Some other factors are:

Screen resolution - what is he using?

Printer drivers - if they're wrong for the printer or the printer needs PCL drivers, the job may be mis-sized.
    MS MCP, MCSE

OK, with OE5, he has 'Compose' set to 12 point, and on the screen, it looks right. When printed, the headers come out at 10pt and the body at 16pt.

Screen resolution is 1024 x 768.

The printer is a 'Canon Multipass 10'. It is a combination: Scanner, Copier, Printer.

The drivers for this unit are another story.

The unit preformed perfectly well when he bought it, running under Win95. When he upgraded to Win98, it continued without any problem for a while, then suddenly the 'Printer' would not work. He has not been able to get new drivers for Win98. Local Canon service has been unable to help him. The attraction of the multifunction unit, is the relatively small footprint. So, he has gone back to Win95.

Is the problem resolved in Win95?
    MS MCP, MCSE

No. The unit worked OK as scanner and copier, under Win98, but the printer would not work - I don't know the precise symptoms.

Now he is back in Win95, the printer is generally working OK. Particularly in Word.

This is by no means a 'life threatening' problem, but very irritating, and I do not understand why we cannot change the size of the font for the printed messages. I can in Eudora.

There does seem to be a relationship between the size he specifies in "Compose", and the font size of the printed message. If you increase one, you increase the other.

That makes sense. OE is a stripped version of Outlook. I prefer OE for real-world usage when it's practical. Since I'm on WinXP, Win2K and ME, I can't really "compare notes".

I suggest that your friend open the message in question and then save it as a text file. He can then drag and drop to Wordpad, Word or Notepad and print. Word and Wordpad will maintain formatting.
    MS MCP, MCSE

BipolarBill, many thanks for your thoughts on this. However, as far as your last recommendation is concerned, I feel "life is just too short", for all that work, to get a good print out.

It would be better to upgrade to Outlook, or Eudora.

Meanwhile, considering all the 'fooling around' we've been doing on that computer, I think we should try to get a new set of Win95 drivers for the Multipass.

Regards

Hi there BW......have you gone into "Tools, options" and then select the "Read" tab, towards the bottom of that box is a button labeled "fonts". You might want to check the settings there.

Thank you Rainsford1! Yes, we did look at that. Superficially it appears to duplicate "Compose". It changes the size of the text on the screen, but not on the print-out.

For me, this would not be a problem, as I very rarely print anything (e-mail) out. However, my friend keeps hard-copy of all his serious e-mail correpondence and deletes from the hard disk.

Bipolar's comment about the drivers struck a chord, since during our attempts to get the Multipass to work under Win98, a lot of stuff was downloaded - in vain. I would like to remove all the relevant drivers and replace them with new downloads from Canon. Unfortunately, I don't know how to locate just those old drivers, so I'll download the new, and hope the overwrite will leave a clean state.