View Poll Results: When will Win 9x/Me be totally obsolete?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 year

2 10.53%
  • 2 years

3 15.79%
  • 3 years

8 42.11%
  • 5+ years

6 31.58%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When will Win 9x/Me be totally obsolete?

When will Win 9x/Me be totally obsolete?

When do you think the Win 9x family wll be totally obsolete? I mean like Win 3.1 is today. Right now you can get by with Win 95. And does anyone think Win 98 will become totally obsolete the same time as Win ME? Any comments apperciated!

Thanxs

Ultimate Member
    I ran across a post a while back on this. It said 9X dies off early 2003. ME and 2k in 2004. This is when MS stops all support of them. At this point your on your own.
    If I can find it agin I'll post the link.

true but MS already doesn't support win 95 anymore, that's what i heard.....

http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2002/2002-01-17.htm

Here's a case in point: As we've discussed in the past, Microsoft is about to pull the plug on support for Windows 98, 98SE, and NT; support has already officially ended for Windows 3.xx, and Windows NT 3.5x; and support has become skeletal for Win95, Win95 OSR1 and Win95 OSR2. (See http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2001/2001-11-15.htm#1 and http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2001/2001-10-29.htm#1 for more info.) Microsoft's new "Desktop Product Lifecycle Guidelines" affect *all* their products--- not just operating systems. (If you want to see when Microsoft will pull the plug on support for *your* software, check out http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycleconsumer.asp and
    http://support.microsoft.com/directory/discontinue.asp .)

..When Linux takes over.
    LoL

MS support of 98se / ME / 2K is not a consideration.

I can still install DOS 6.22 and all my old DOS apps and do all sorts of work.

Am using 98se until Lindows OS is out and stable. Will never send another penny to MS for their BLOATWARE VIRUS SPREADING GARBAGE.

SuSe Linux 8.0 looks good also, and Suse will support AMD 64 bit Hammer chips.

The advent of 64 bit processing will cause many to switch from M$ to a stable 64 bit ready OS and apps.

Why give MS Bill any more cash if you can currently function with 98se and your current apps?

LOL Rex! Good one, that can be taken either way and its good. Well at least you can still upgrade to IE 5.5 with 95 There is a away around the mediaplayer thing, you can still get windows media 7.0 on 95, we will see soon enough. If linux just stuck 2 1 system it would have a shot, man, they have tons of oses though man! Its always a new adventure. Stay tuned fellas!
    Originally posted by rextex
    ..When Linux takes over.
    LoL

i think win3.1 dead now 95 just about cuts it (but not for long)
    98+me there is a few years life left yet.
    but i know microsoft stoped support for 3.1+95 but it is verry easy to get help/support for both and a lot of apps/programs on the net.

It was obsolete when the idea for it was placed on Bill's desk. As far as true usage of a computer's full potential is concerned, there is only one OS base that can be considered up to the task. Mmmm, I love UNIX
    Never underestimate a Penguin...

As long as my computer runs, it won't be obsolete to me. Maybe I won't be able to do some things I can't do now and maybe am not interested in doing!

I only got rid of my orignal XT machine a couple of years ago.

Once applications start coming out that have to be run in an NT environment...
    I am disrespectful to dirt!

i my view Nt os's are good for big computers that have a lot of stuff to manage but the avaerage home/gaming user doesn't have or need NT though

9X/ME is lame.

It already is. If you've ever used 2000 or XP for an extended amount of time then you already know what I'm talking about.

I used to get BSOD on my 98 system at least twice a day. Interesting enough, after moving to 2000Pro on the same machine, it happened to me twice in three months or so.

How people can still cope with the instability of the 9X family of OS's (and yeah, ME is based on the same code as 98) is beyond me.

I say they will last about another 2-3 years. I put my vote as 3 years.

Re: 9X/ME is lame.

Originally posted by Johnny Fist
    It already is. If you've ever used 2000 or XP for an extended amount of time then you already know what I'm talking about.

I used to get BSOD on my 98 system at least twice a day. Interesting enough, after moving to 2000Pro on the same machine, it happened to me twice in three months or so.

How people can still cope with the instability of the 9X family of OS's (and yeah, ME is based on the same code as 98) is beyond me.
    I have used Win 2000 and I don't like it. It doesn't suit the needs that ME can for me. I'm a home user, so I wouldn't bother paying big bucks for an OS that is designed for businesses. ME gives me everything I need in a OS and I don't have any complaints about it.

Plus, I do see that Microsoft will have to keep their suport for the 9x/ME OS because so many people are still buying them. Many people can't afford Win 2000 or Win XP. Also, many people have used 9x/ME in the past and it still gives them the stuff that they need. Why upgrade to Win 2000 or XP when you can still get great quality out of the old OS?