Thread: win 2000 pro or XP Pro and why?

win 2000 pro or XP Pro and why?

Please help. I don't know what to get. I am sick of 98se crashing all the time.

go for Win 2000~~
    more stable less fancy (needed less memory)

win xp still have lots bug

Windows 2000. More stable, less bloat. Also takes a hell of a lot less ram.

Agree. Win 2000 is more " light" . I have a PC(P1) running win2000 pro whith only 96 of RAM .It's great while XP wil need minimum of 128 mb to laod.
    Go for Win 2000pro
    Commandos

XP?
    Prepare yourself for non-stopping download search for DRIVERS and SOFTWARE UPDATES

It depends what you're into.

I recently switched from 2000pro to XPpro. Stability wise I see no difference whatsoever. I'm firmly convinced that the only difference is the pretty package that XP comes in. By that I mean XP's use of visual styles. I'm big on shell replacements and skinning, so the idea of an OS thats skinnable and has native shell switching support made it worth the move. If you're more of a hardware person or someone who just wants to run programs and not experiment with anything, go for 2000pro. Just as the other guys said, 2000 uses less resources. Another reason is that XP is still relatively new so theres bound to be bugs. 2000 has been out for awhile now, so most of the bugs have been worked out.

XP has far less bugs from it's start than Win2000 did.

If you aren't into gaming or are a gamer with a high end system Win2000 will do you fine.

I use WinXP Pro and have been amazed by it's stability and features. It's the best OS I've used and I've used everything MS has put out. I have yet to have a single problem with it except for the day it would restart when asked to shutdown...which hasn't happened since.

WinXP does have alot of visuals...but these can be turned off by setting the OS to performance mode.....
    Intel 2.2 Northwood
    ASUS P4B266-C
    512MB Crucial DDR
    2 40GB WD HDDs
    32x10x40x velocd
    16x LiteOn DVD-ROM
    ATi 32MB DDR
    SB Audigy Platinum
    Enlight 7237/340 case
    Windows XP Pro

I've stuck with 2K, despite having an XP disc a few feet from this keyboard, and I use my system for everything.....Gaming, Office Apps, Desktops (P2P, Media Players etc etc). Heck, I've even done some Digital Video Editing for one of my mates who had filmed some criminal damage done to his car on his Video Camera.
    ''I like violence and boobs, therefore am mature''

I prefer XP. I had 2000 at work and it is a fine, stable OS. XP has more bells and whistles and a few more useful utilities.

If I had 2000, I'd stay with it. If I had 98 or (god forbid) ME, I'd go to XP.

Xp is ****, win2k is rock solid stable, no more BSOD.

Did I mention that I hate XP?
    Life is a bowl of cherries