Thread: Roiuters or Switches or something

Roiuters or Switches or something

Greetings!

I’m generally familiar with the idea behind Internet Connection Sharing, but I’m not too excited about the idea of having to leave a computer turned on all the time, or at least whenever one of the other computers on the network wants to use the internet.

Is there a hardware only solution that works like ICS? A router or something, perhaps, that would allow multiple computers to share a single Internet connection without having to have the “server” computer turned on?

Thanks!

A cable/DSL router is what you need. All major networking manufacturers make them. The most popular here is the Linksys BEFSR41:

http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product...235958&loc=101
    MS MCP, MCSE

Originally posted by BipolarBill
    A cable/DSL router is what you need. All major networking manufacturers make them. The most popular here is the Linksys BEFSR41:

http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product...235958&loc=101
    So, this kind of router would allow multiple compuers to use the same internet connectoin, just by pluggint them in to it? Would it also allow, say, an Xbox to use it?

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by Akin

So, this kind of router would allow multiple compuers to use the same internet connectoin, just by pluggint them in to it? Would it also allow, say, an Xbox to use it?
    Yes. The BEFSR41 has four ports. Linksys also makes an 8-port model. Your one IP address from the provider is translated by the router, which assigns as many IP addresses (to your local network) as you have ports. Don't know anything about X-Boxes, but if all it needs is an IP address, then it should work fine.
    jmichna

PS: I've been using a BEFSR41 for about 18 months, easy to setup & configure, no problems since day one, easy to U/G firmware, too. Think they cost less than about $80US now-a-days.

Originally posted by Akin

So, this kind of router would allow multiple compuers to use the same internet connectoin, just by pluggint them in to it?

I took my BEFSR41 out of the box, plugged in the power, push the reset button, plugged in the cables from the cable modem and the two computers. Fired up the two computers and both came up online. No configuration of any kind.
    That's the way I like it.

And yes, you don't have to run both computers.

Sounds great guys, thanks for the info

Is this the same thing with eight ports? I can already fill up four, might as well allow for "future growth"

http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product...queryType=comp

It also looks like this sort of gizmo may remove the need for the ZoneAlarm firewall? Does anyone know if it is as good or better in protectring your system?

Thanks...
    Last edited by Akin; 04-29-2002 at 03:19 PM.

You still need ZoneAlarm to protect what your computer sends out. A router only stops the inbound.

You can go for the 8-port job is you like or use an 8-port hub connected to a 4-port router. There's lot's of flexibility there.

As Arkie has said, the router can't prevent a trojan or worm from sending out data. As a matter of fact, a really skilled hacker can get through a router. I would recommend a "backup plan" - a software firewall.
    MS MCP, MCSE