FSB/Voltages/Settings/Specs

Benchmarks if poss

Submit now and you'll win money, honest

XP 1700+ oc to 2000+

Need money before more info...

not mine but a friends.

XP 1600+ to a 2000+

I beat Jimstep so I need the money now
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

XP 1800+ to a 1900+

I know it's not much but was using the stock cooler and an GA-7DX which is a lousy OC/board.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Rugor, Jimstep, gibsinep:

What settings do you have your machines at?

XP 1600 - XP2000, that's a hell of a step. It's not common to overclock by that much is it? (on an XP)

That depends on good you are....

Originally posted by cusimar9

XP 1600 - XP2000, that's a hell of a step. It's not common to overclock by that much is it? (on an XP)
    Yeah that is a big step. Don't know how they did it unless they unlocked the chip or run the computer with no case out in the middle of a field in Antarctica. My xp1600 is stable at 1700 (fsb = 142), and sometimes kinda sorta mostly occasionally stable at 1800(fsb= 146 i think). No higher though. Case and cpu temps are fine..... I have more fans than yankee stadium on opening day...but it won't go higher. This is during the winter too...I wonder if it will stay stable when it's 108 outside.

I increased the voltage all the way up to 1.85, but all this did was make it hotter, not more stable. I wanted to increase the i/o voltage and the memory voltage, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. I asked up here at sysopt and didn't get any help, so I gave up. Guess I ought to ask again

I wasted alot of time researching and trying to buy parts that would overclock well, but I think I just wasted time and money on 'quality' parts. Oh well...my last comp, an athlon 500@800 ran rock solid, so I guess I know what I'm doing...right?...who knows?

Anyway here's the specs...hope you have better luck than me.

xp1600
    soyo dragon+
    512 ocz pc2400 ddr
    hercules gf3 ti200 (hercules=massively overrated in my opinion)
    sb audigy plat
    ibm 60gig hd

Remember, going from an XP 1600+ to an XP 2000+ is only 266MHz which isn't really a lot. Given the practice of "binning" for speed grades, all CPUs of a given type are designed to run at up to the maximum released speed of that stepping.

The ones that they sell at the lower speed grades are either ones that didn't make the cut, or if they all made the cut, just ones that they needed to make up the numbers. The end result is that with proper cooling most Athlon XP's should be good for somewhere between 1.6 and 1.7GHz. In fact I would be very surprised if you couldn't get at least 70% of all XP cores up to at least 1.6GHz with air cooling. They may require unlocking for that speed but I think that given sufficient cooling it would be reachable for almost any XP.

The ones that impress me are the people who can get them up around 1.8-2GHz. That takes skill and usually unlocking the multiplier and boosting the FSB. The real challenge is getting the core higher than its normal limits, rather than moving it up a few speed grades.

Luck
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Hey,

Sorry It has taken so long to get back.

Yes we did unlock the chip. It was actually a combo of FSB and multiplier changing. I did this with a friend who lives out of state so I cant just run over and ask what the settings are at. I know their are at least 4 fans 1 modded right above the CPU. But I sent an e-mail aksing the settings as I am sorry to say I just don't remember. We also bumbed the Vcore up once.
    Nothing in life is as certain as death, but death is not a wall but a doorway to a new adventure

Hmmmm...........

All these Voltage settings - Vcore, i/o, memory....... I thought you could only increase the voltage passed to the cpu? What do the other voltage increases do, and when would you use them?

Basically any voltage increase increases the available power for that component to try and stabilize its operation at a higher frequency. This runs the risk of burning something out, and higher rates of electromigration but it does sometimes make the difference. Remember though, with voltages, a little goes a long way.

Remember, going from an XP 1600+ to an XP 2000+ is only 266MHz which isn't really a lot.
    Unless you unlocked the multiplier that _is_ a lot. That puts the FSB at something like 150? Thats a fair amount.

I am running an XP1700 as an XP1800 just pushing FSB to 140. Its perfectly stable. I am using brand name (Samsung?) PC2100 CAS2 memory. A thermaltake volcano 7. CPU is at ~39C. I haven't messed with voltages or anything yet.

I plan to unlock the multiplier eventually, but I am lazy and haven't yet. Once I do that I hope to tick it up 1 or 2 for an extra 140 or 280Mhz... that should be fast.

It may be a lot for the system to go from a 133 FSB to a 158 FSB, but moving the core up 266MHz is not that much.

Unlocked, most cores will probably do 1.6+ GHz.

Whats the multiplier? Its like 14 or something, right? So to step 266 core is increasing the FSB 266/14=19. That puts FSB at 152. Thats a lot. If the core is unlocked then yes, thats a whole different story (as I said before), 1600 core prob fine then.

I can't push mine anywhere near that >=o(

I got an XP 1800 with a few fans in there, GF4Ti4600 which runs very hot.

I got the FSB up to 136 (WOW!) and I've got the card running at 716/311 (not a lot) any more than that and it just complains like a little *****.

Still, I managed to get a nice bit of a speed increase by changing the DDR settings in the BIOS, and all in all I've gone from this to this . Not a bad little increase considering i've hardly touched it