Thread: Windows XP Pro, Power off function arent working

Windows XP Pro, Power off function arent working

The computer wont put itself into standby, wont turn the monitor off, and will not turn hard disks off. These are all the Automatic functions that you can set up in (Power) on the Screen saver tab.
    I have them all set to the time I want, yet they wont do it. I dont know why. The Screen Saver will come on.

Please help, I'm tired of waking up with my monitor on. It... troubles me.

Thank you for your time.

I don't know XP.I think it is ACPI problem maybe.If so, is not always easy to fix.

Try turning off the screen saver, if you havn't already. Some screen savers keep the system operating. Also some programs will not let the system idle. Anti virus programs are a likely suspect.
    Things that make you go HMMMMMM...

I have heard of this twice recently, I believe it's an APM problem, It may be caused by an older BIOS APM program, try a BIOS Flash or an updated BIOS chip.

I have the most rescent Bios update for Asus A7V333 KT333 chipset.

I do have a network card hooked onto my computer, I did have problems on one of my computers with that (when I turn the computer off, if the other one connected to it was on, it would instantly turn the other back on)

I'll try the screen saver idea... but I want a screen saver...

In that case, How bad is it to leave the monitor on? Its new...

I would still like the computer to turn off tho... especially Monitor and HD.

Thank you for your replies so far.

Make sure the "wake on lan" setting is off then in bios. Otherwise the computers will keep waking each other up.
    Things that make you go HMMMMMM...

I had XP Pro installed and then "retired" it until I had the time to figure it all out. I also had problems with monitor off, standby, hibernate, and HD off. Whenever these glitches would reappear, the only way I could apply a fix was to reset the desired times by changing and then changing back. I definitely would deactivate a lot of taskbar activity before depending on the auto-off functions.

I figgured out the wake on lan thing after awhile

I just dont understand why the computer wont at least turn my monitor off... if It'll go into a screen saver, why not turn it off too?

Have you tried the minimum setting for monitor power-down--->1 minute, just to check? Also, set the Power Schemes to "Home/Office Desk" or the equivalent for XP.

Umm... it was the screen saver

Thank you for helping me figure it out...

I did a One minuet thing, then I tried it with the screen saver, and well...

How can I fix my screen saver?

I cant part with it, Its my special Matrix screen saver I got.

You can deactivate it from desktop. I like 'em too, but they don't like system standby, and they are unpredictable as to how they will interact with other dormant apps.