Thread: Onboard Video Change question

Onboard Video Change question

I have a packard bell computer with brand new ME just installed and all new drivers. Works great, smooth, and speedy, but I would like to change something. The video performance! Currently it has an onboard video chip (SIS 5598 Rev 64 chip-4MB max). There are a few PCI slots open to use. I don't care for the onboard chip.

Would it be possible for me to buy the ATI 16MB PCI video card (its the only 16MB made by ATI), install it and would it work?? Can someone tell me how to go about doing this?

Mother board is Biostar M5SIB
    Processor is Cyrix MII-300 (225 Mhz)
    I've got 192MB of Ram. 188MB available (current video takes up 4MB)

Thanks to all who help.
    Jordan

If you can disable the onboard.Check your manual.Usually it is a jumper.

HEY

hey retex! hows it goin? Before you helped me out a lot with that windows installation and reformat prob and I putted through it. Ran into a few probs and got by them, somehow Anyways the computer runs like a swiss watch now (At least for a 4 year old computer)

Anyways I was looking at the motherboard and right beside the VGA chip is directions on how to disable the onboard video. A couple jumpers which I have already found. Now I need to know if this fussy 225 Mhz computer (the 'fussy' Cyrix) will handle a 16 MB or even a 32 MB video card. Maybe the guy at the store will let me buy one and if it doesn't work, I can return it.

Hey Jordan#1.Glad you got it working.
    That card should work.Just be sure you have the right driver for ME.ME actually will have a driver built in for it.You could use it initially to try it.Its not as good as the newer drivers but works for a start.
    I have an ATI card similar.They work O.K.Just download a newer driver later when you are ready.
    If you get a problem like when you boot it is fine at initial screens but when it goes into Windows it blacks out: Boot into safe mode and see if it works.If so, it is the driver, or the refresh rate to the monitor (which usually gets set automaticallly by the driver but sometimes can flake out on you until you reset it).
    Good Luck!
    Come back soon, Sysopt is good place.

--p.s. I wouldn't go any newer than a card similar.The PCI version on newer cards sometimes doesn't like old computers.
    Last edited by rextex; 04-22-2002 at 03:00 AM.

ATI has several Radeons in PCI version....with 32 megs...
    Tiger, tiger, burning bright,
    In the forest of the night,
    What immortal hand or eye
    Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

question

in the bios there is an option to be able to assign IRQ to VGA. What is that/what does it do if I enabled it?? Does that have to do with the VGA and PCI slot?

thanks

You'll have to assign IRQ to VGA in case of PCI videocard.
    As for upgrading videocard on Cyrix MII-300, I doubt it's a good idea ... even GeForce2 MX200 will choke