Thread: The Home Made Heatsink

The Home Made Heatsink

Looks great man, as long as it works well! The main goal right out of the gate if at all possible. To achieve the next closest thing to 100% bearing between the heatsink and the chip itsself. Then we move on, I have'nt tried to build my own heatsink,because I just don't have the time, the next question was, what would be the best alloy to use as far as heat dissapation. Seams like alluminum is, unless someone could please be so kind to fill me in on something better. I'm more than game for that! Looks pretty kewl man, hope it continues to work well! Kewl article! Kudos!

im glad you liked it.

I do plan on making a fixing system for it - it will probably be attached in much the same wasy as a Swiftech MC462 or Alpha PAL 8045.

I also think that if i increased the amount of holes by drilling a number of smaller holes, the increased surface area would result in better cooling.

Any questions, i'll try my best to answer.

Ben

Re: The Home Made Heatsink

Originally posted by SearchSkillzzz
    Seams like alluminum is, unless someone could please be so kind to fill me in on something better.
    Copper should have a slightly higher heat dissipation than aluminum but the difference is relatively negligible. Greater surface area would substantially improve performance.

Rob

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    If anyone remembers the Slot 1 heatsinks made by Alpha a few years ago, they changed from all aluminum alloy by adding a copper insert for the processor core. The theory was that copper is better at sucking the heat away from the core, but copper is slower at releasing the heat, so the thermal energy transfers to the aluminum which will disipate the heat faster.

copper does dissipate heat from the core better, however aluminum dissipates that heat to the air better. that is why all high performing heatsinks are made out of a combo of copper and aluminum.

Well for the best heat disipator on earth check out NASA's website for stuff on Carbon compaound stuff, they have stuff that can dissipate heat so quickly you can touch stuff seconds after being removed from an 800F oven, and thick chunks too!

If it can shield something in re-entry I am figuring it might just withstand an AthlonXP in full burn, maybe just though

Sadly I doubt it is commercially available though

darn, guess i can't run down to my local NASA and get me a tube of this stuff.

I remember reading an article a few years ago about a plasma process that "etched" the surface of metal (they were using it on special light filaments). Basically the plasma etching ate away the surface in small "cones", turning the metal black and giving it about 3x the normal surface area.

Would be something interesting to do inside the holes of your block, especially with a whole bunch more of smaller holes...

Yardiff
    . o O Reality is what you decidE O o .

copper does dissipate heat from the core better, however aluminum dissipates that heat to the air better. that is why all high performing heatsinks are made out of a combo of copper and aluminum.
    Not quite me thinks (any thermodynamics folks out there?). Copper dissapates heat better than aluminum from the core _and_ to the air (coefficient doesn't matter on the other material). Its just impractical to build a whole heatsink out of copper. Its too soft for the thin fins (required for big surface area), its expensive and its heavy.

Frames of Mind in Using Flash

I like the use of the Shockwave (Flash,Macromedia). You know you 'CAN use those presentations to communicate. Even though the program(s) get more complicated the more explicite YOUR communication becomes.
    Dont know about about it but the programs are trained on porting the salesmen,when you 'could use some analytic,realist type endeavores.
    This is not to say of course advertising has its validity.It is difficult to adjust when in the conversation,you must redeem your own qualities while following the content/context/..composition,so that it sais exactly nothing more or less than what your trying to say.
    Wich isn't all inclusive to most of the stylist /practice type of programs marketed to take the most glit.
    Attached Images Attached Images