Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: United Devices - You can make a difference and help improve cancer treatment

Hi

Just join this group a few days ago

Have just been looking at the team stats and of the 28 active members only 6 (including myself) have posted any results in the last 2 weeks. Most of the others have been inactive for ages

Have people gone and joined other teams?
    Is the team winding down?

Just making sure I've joined the right project

Thanks Kev

I'm not sure how active the SysOpt team is nowadays... I'm not poaching or anything, but Team X is a sort of offshoot from SysOpt run by Logan. It's active, and the home page is here:

http://teamx.webhop.org

In the end we're all working towards the same goal, but it is nice to be in a similarly minded group

just joined (thx Sterling_Aug).

Let's just hope my semi-stable 3000+ win2k machine is up to the task (new nf7-s coming this week).

I'll also install it on my p4 rig.
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell

Banned
    deleted

Thanks for spamming the thread, both here and there:

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...hreadid=172928

It all seems to have gone very quiet on the Sysopt team, even relatively new members appear to have 'retired' - or have they joined Team Logan (doesn't matter to me - just as long as the units get done)? Shame really - the team is now in the top 1600 point-wise.

cheers,

Neil

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    I started a new team:

Sysopt for Folding:

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/te...mId=0RW966KFP1

and my 2.4 @ 3.4 is with you.
    i so pretty yes i am... pretty pretty dancing

I'm still active -- I'm 6th place in total cpu time, 5th in total points, 7th in results returned, 36th in n00bness. I'd better reinstall it on my 'badmutha' to catch the top spot.

http://www.grid.org/services/teams/t...74C&ord=STATUS
    George Orwell

not posting results

One of the reasons I'm not participating is that my IT guy at work made me uninstall the program from the work computers. He was afraid that someone would be able to use a backdoor in the program to compromise organizational security.

Just installed this software - seems like a very worthwhile cause for little effort. Couple of questions?

1) I'm on a broadband package with limited monthlly downloads. If I leave it online whilest it's working, will it eat into my download limit, or does it only do that while I download new units?

2) Can I turn off my PC while it's part way through a unit, without losing the computing its done? Will it "pick up" where it left off?

Sorry for the stupid questions. Just wanna help the cause...

1) there's not enough transmitted data to worry about (probably Megs per month, but nothing huge). Think of it as the pets you have under the table -- scraps of food, not meals.
    2) you sure can. It picks up where it left off.
    George Orwell

Nice one - thanks

Will it work faster if I allocate it more HD space? Getting 100 for processer, and 125 for memory, but only 20 for storage. Not too worried about earning points, but seems to be taking a long time working through first project? Up to 11 hours now, and still only half way through.

If you head on over to the forums at http://forum.grid.org/ there are some really good answers and info about what's going on at the moment.

But to answer your question, no it won't process faster with 10GB allocated as opposed to 1GB of hard drive space. The only thing that really affects process time is the data that it's working on (different work units take varying amounts of time) and the CPU you have.
    I think the HD allocation is just to say how good your system is and how much space could the agent theoretically use to store data if needed. I've never known my UD folder to grow more than 5MB though.

If you opt to do the rosetta task then this one will use more resources like memory and HD space so if you're concerned about it slowing down your PC then you can tell it to run the cancer job only.

Keep watching the Grid as there's big changes coming soon, new agent, new servers, new jobs.