Thread: United Devices - You can make a difference and help improve cancer treatment

Threaded View

United Devices - You can make a difference and help improve cancer treatment

I have been thinking for a week or so about starting a team for SysOpt in the United Devices distributed computing project. I dont know if you've heard of that one but one of the things they're working on is modelling cell/drug interactions to try to come up with more effective cancer treatments.

Last night I read in the Community forum that one of our fellow SysOpt members, Fatal Exception, passed away on Friday due to brain cancer. She was cheerful and funny, and I always enjoyed reading her posts.

After checking with a moderator if it was ok to post this info at this time, I have created the SysOpt team. It is called SysOpt in Action. I set the description as "Members of SysOpt.com putting our fastidiously-tweaked computers to work together as one for the improvement of cancer treatment and better lives for patients. Created in memory of Debi, who we knew (as Fatal Exception) far too briefly."

You can download from www.ud.com a small program that operates a lot like the SETI@home project - you can run it either as a screensaver, or activate it yourself when you're going away from your computer, and it will run during the time your machine would normally do nothing, analyzing data sets. When one set finishes, you connect to the net so it can report its results and download a new set.

The team's UD info page is
    http://members.ud.com/services/teams...2-778D183C774C

[have had some trouble with that link not working... you may need to download and register - www.ud.com - before being able to see the team page. Sorry for the mixup.]

You can both download the software (link is toward the bottom) and join the team from that location. Make sure to choose the cancer research module to run when you install. Anyone reading this is welcome to join.

If you have cpu idle time to spare, no matter how slow your computer may be, you can help. It's not often I get a chance to put my hardware where my heart is. Let's make Debi smile when she sees what our computers are doing in her name.
    Last edited by shark_megabyte; 03-31-2002 at 08:22 PM.