Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Building a Computer, I need the good stuff

you could do what i did when i was on a simalr budget but you have the nice vid card so your preatty much set
    mine was jsut about top of the line for a week (except vid)
    for the cd rom drives see if you can gank an old one if it saves 20 bucks then its worth it.
    a 40gig is pleanty even though they can cost a lot and i just got a 60 for less then any 40 i could buy at a store.
    for the moniter try to get at least a 19" you may think theres not a diff but once you have it you will never go back. (willingly that is)
    one of the best ways i've found is try to see if you have any used parts you can use to reduce cost so you can afford that little extra you want

I'm not all that concerned over cost. I built (added up costs) a system that I thought would be a great system for about 1.4k.

I'm staying Athlon XP (intel dont try an change my mind... I've already got one)

So that'll save some money there.

I ended up with

KT333 chipset MB
    Athlon XP 2100+
    512 PC2700 DDR
    Maxtor ATA/133 40 GB HD
    Plextor 40x12x(something goes here) CD-RW
    Asus CD-DVD player (I forget the speeds)
    A 60 $ case at 320 Watts
    Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
    -(my current video card as well, I'm holding off for a card that
    -comes with DX9 support as well as support for the 'upcoming'
    -open GL 2.0 (or something)

A 19" Elements LR monitor, I already have a 17" Elements monitor, and they ARE great monitors.

That was all within my budged, and thats what I'm tending towards, I would, however, like a CD-DVD player thats ATA/133 and CD-RW that is ATA/133, but I dont know where (or if out) to find it.

(most of these prices found from http://www.ebccomputers.com )