Thread: Home Theater Projector

Home Theater Projector

I have a room where a home theater would be great. Due to the way it is set up, a projector system would be best. I looked at projectors for the last month and I don't mind spending 3 or 4 thousand dollars for a good system, except that the bulb in each system tends to be a problem. They have a life span of around 2000 hours. Watching TV about 7 hours a day, the bulb would last less than a year. The price of the bulb is about $500. To spend $500 each year would run another $5,000 for the next 10 years, thats assuming you get maximum life from each bulb and don't break any or get a defective bulb. My question is: What do these sports bars use with their projection systems that you see mounted on the ceiling? They run their TV's almost 24 hours a day and at that rate they would be replacing bulbs every 90 days. Anyone know the answer to this mystery?

The projectors we have are meant to have a 600 hour life with the bulbs costing £500, although we haven't had one fail now for 2 years with semi constant use.

Why not go for a large plasma screen, you can get huge ones for that sort of money.....I personally would get a large widescreen tv, a superb sound system and spend the rest on beer and dvd's or maybe a decent games system

Stefan
    Stefan

72" sony flat screen plamsa ... 9,999.99 oh man www.thinkgeek.com has em fot 7,999.99 but only for the mainland states... but man o man that would be soo nice

I don't know how big you were intending to have a projection system, but you can get a SWEET 65" widescreen 1080i HDTV for about $4,000, and there is obviously no concern with "replacement parts". Like I said, I don't know just how big you need, but 65" is pretty stinkin' big. Then you could lay down some cash for the THX cert 7.1 receiver, 9 speakers + sub, progressive scan DVD player, etc, etc. Any CircuitCity or Bestbuy or SoundTrack would have a better alternative than projector.

The reason I wanted projection was we have a wall 30 feet by 20 feet. Projecting a picture this big was what I really wanted to do. II wanted to have lifelike size people on the tv screen.

****! what kind of people do YOU know that are 20 feet tall!! j/k

honestly...I'm not sure...that's an interesting question...let me think about that for a bit...but don't spend so much on the projector/screen that you abandon the sound...

I think it is a little like leaving a monitor on 24 hours.
    The more it is switched on and off,, the more stress on the system.

Leave it on I say

There is no mystery, it's 3 bucks a beer. Even I could afford $5000 a year for bulbs if clients like watching it.