Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Geforce 3, but games aren't smooth!

Windows ME isn't your problem. [But don't get me started raving about all the buggy windows OS's].

I would take out that graphics capture card and the firewire card, if it isn't too much trouble, and try your video then...

Also, Windows gets itself all fouled up by retaining in Regedit info about things once installed but now replaced. To avoid trying to fight Regedit, when big problems persist, I usually format, reinstall the OS, reinstall my programs, and tell myself I'm having fun!

Good luck getting your Geforce 3 going. I have about 10 machines with Geforce 3, and it is no problem. DO not download and install the latest detonators, however; they cause more problems than they solve. Go with the earliest detonator you can find, probably at Guru3D.com

Hard drive?

Have you checked how fragmented your hard drive is?
    My friend's box ran DoD smooth for about three months, then he had problems just like yours. He checked and his hard drive was 36% fragmented. After a simple defrag DoD and all of his other games were running nice and smooth again.

Something that can make your graphics (seem) laggy, is the Texture Filter that you use.

Bilinear
    Trilinear
    Anisotrophic

Given that I cant see any difference between them, I always use Bilinear. Anisotrophic has caused the most problems for me, (when I used it) now although I got great fps (RTCW) it would be choppy. when I toned down to Bilinear, it was a great improvement, not it fps but it smootheness.

1024-768 resolution seems to do the best on GeForce3 cards, I notice NO difference in fps from 640-480 and 800-600, and sometimes I can get a better fps in 1024-768.

Check for antialiasing, if its on, turn it off and go to a high resolution, otherwise (if you simply "need" it like I do) use quincux or 2x and run at 1024-768

Hey again,

I've done some research. The same "lag" seen in the game Sacrifice is also seen on another computer which is connected to our network (a Cel 400) with exactly the same type of HD and Win ME. This might mean that the problem lies with the game itself, and not the hardware.

I also removed the 60 gig from my system, installed a 20 gig one and installed Win98SE onto that. Installing only the necessary drivers, I gave Sacrifice a go on that OS. Result: Same lag as on WinME. This is another indicator that the problem is with the game. Very weird though. Do anyone of you have this game, and does it run smooth (not in lag-jumps)?

Andy72: I have the latest motherboard drivers (VIA KT133A chipset) and have the most recent BIOS.

Many of you have mentioned disk-defragmentation. I haven't done that in a while, I will leave my computer to do it tonight.

Another thing. I only have one HD-partition on my system (C:). Maybe such a huge partition could cause problems like the one I have? I haven't heard of that though.

Also, someone suggested that I remove some cards, as there are a lot of them in the computer. However, I need these cards as the system is also used for video editing.

Cyan: How do I change the texture filter?

P4-gamer: I don't think there are any IRQ conflicts, although several cards share the same IRQ's. IRQ 11 seems okay, though.

Thanks all.

You say you have updated the mob drivers, I have had very similar problems with a Geforce 3 card until JeffD advised me to install the 4 in 1 drivers. That fixed my problem completely. I saw that the newest 4 in 1's are dated March 2002, Have you tried those?

Hey Ok,

Maybe you already have this patch, but if you don't - there ia a new agp gart driver for your chipset (same as mine btw) its 4.10b, microsoft certified and its not included in latest 4-in-1 (v.4.37 has agp gart version 4.05)

http://www.viahardware.com/download/index.shtm#4in1
    (look for AGP GART section)

I am running WinXP and the patch gave me a nice boost. Not saying this will solve your problem here but why not give it a try...

Best of luck,

Andy

There is one other thing that can cause lag in the middle of a game. Have you checked to see if the hard disk has DMA enabled? Usualy the cause of a low 3DMark score after a format and ppl forget to enable it ^-^

You probobly already know, but just in case;

Go to control panel then click on the system icon. Click on the device manager tab then the disk drives icon. On my system I have a 'Generic NEC floppy disk' and a 'generic ide disk type 47'... (been meaning to get some more.)
    Double click on the ide disk (or your hdd) and then on the settings tab. Lastly, check to see if the DMA box is marked (if not... check it ^-^ then restart windows.)

~
    Silver

ditch the g3 and get a radeon8500

Are you running MS Find Fast on startup? If so, delete that piece of junk from your startup folder.
    --
    Shawn Sonnentag
    IRIX/Linux System Administrator
    ...oh, and Windoze too...

Gone

hoodedrat

"ditch the g3 and get a radeon8500 "

Yeah that would fix it alright- whatever! Its not the cards fault its a setting or compateability prob. in the sys. It will prob. do the same thing with a Radeon. Now you dont like it when people bash ATI so dont go flinging mud unless you intend to get dirty!

Banned

Ok

I have bad news for you..... First off my buddy bought a Gforce 3 and he complained about texturing problems..... This really pissed him off....
    Then what you experience really pissed him off.. skiping.. or it's really smooth but has mouse lag!!

So he had to do one thing...... Return the card... The MX has lesss trouble. or GTS 2 Ultra runs fine....He got a GTS 2 Ultra at the time as a replacement and was really happy....

Banned

I also agree on returning the card and gettin..

A RADEON 8500 Retail...... Make sure you get the box version.... it's 275 Core and 550 DDR withn a special chip the LE doesn't have ...

Gone
    Your trying to tell that to me? A person with the G3 original running wiothout a skip at all, no mouse lag and killer fps, with almost any game maxed out! I have no texture problems! Never did and still dont. The colors are fine too! If it didnt work on that sys, then look at the sys. not the card. Your just brand name bias thats all. How about the many threads posted here with radeon 8500 problems. Would you like to hear buy a Nvidia G4 cause its better and the 8500 has prob.s on a lot of systems. Its the cards fault! No I'm not that petty. I like both and I'm just saying your are way out of line saying it is Nvidia's fault, thats just laim. Do you have any technical reasons why you believe the 8500 is not going to have prob.s while the G3 does? IF it would work it would still be irelevant. Too many variables between bios setting, drivers, mobo brand- you get the idea. It sure doesnt have to point to the GPU chip manufacture

I would definely make sure that the AGP has it's own interrupt reserved (i.e. not sharing with any other device). Also suggest Det 23.11 drivers.

I've had a similar problem with unreal tournament and other games. I found the problem was down to the detonator drivers. Not all versions work with all cards. This is a real bummer and takes some experimentation. Also it could be down to your sound card. Had on some pf my pcs trould with sound card drivers causing intermittant game play and frame rate loss. But from what I have read it does sound like a vid driver problem. Make sure you get the right drivers for your os. Also it may be worth getting the detonator destroyer program and start afresh.