Thread: Installing both XP and 98 on same HD

Installing both XP and 98 on same HD

I would like to know how well a system works with both XP and 98SE installed. I am considering partitioning a hard drive and putting XP on 25g partition and 98SE on the other 15g partition. The reason is that I have some programs in 98 that will not work on XP. Also, my scanner will not work on XP and Visioneer is not supplying an upgrade driver. In such an installation, I am wondering if both systems should be installed under FAT 32. That way, stored compatible files could be accessed by both operating systems; or would such lack of separation create filing confusion. The option given at startup in XP Pro to allow the choice of OS is intriguing. I am aware that cache settings and swapfile will need to be tweaked in 98 with the additional memory recommended for XP performance. Given the possibility of system crash, the option of having a backup OS installed is an interesting challenge.

Dual boot is fine as long as each OS is in its own partition. Some simple programs can be run from one location by both OSes, but any that use registry settings should be kept apart, getting installed twice, once by each OS. I'd use NTFS on the w2k partition. It can't be read by win98, but it's less error prone and more stable than FAT32.

... and to make life simpler, install win98 first, on the C: drive.

Here's another helpful hint...xp takes more hd space, so with small drives (<40Gb) I suggest the C: partitiion be the smaller.

To save space on the hard drive, I usually make a third partition.
    The programs that have to be installed twice, can be placed here.
    When the second installation is done it overwrites the existing files and each OS has their registry edits. I usually put all programs on a seperate partition from all OS's.

Originally posted by durock
    To save space on the hard drive, I usually make a third partition.
    The programs that have to be installed twice, can be placed here.
    When the second installation is done it overwrites the existing files and each OS has their registry edits. I usually put all programs on a seperate partition from all OS's.
    Interesting option, but how would the filing system be handled? Would that not require using FAT32 exclusively in order for 98 to access programs? Otherwise, how would 98 "see" the partition?

Use FAT32 on all partitions so you can access files on each OS.