Thread: Suprize Me

Suprize Me

Allright guys, I want to hear the most interesting/trivial thing you know about computers. I want to know any little tricks or tips that you guys know.......just for the sake of convo.

Intimate Member
    Always disconnect the modem from the line when lightning is anywhere in the county. The lightning protector in the power strip does not completely protect the modem. A direct hit on the power lines within 3 to 5 miles of your house will get by the power strip overvoltage suppressor as well.

The computer can be used as space heater in emergency situations;
    Just remove the extra cooling fans and it'll warm your frozen toes right up!

Computer cases come in very handy when changing light bulbs, especially tower units although can be a bit unstable when over-reaching.

Originally posted by Bovon
    Always disconnect the modem from the line when lightning is anywhere in the county. The lightning protector in the power strip does not completely protect the modem. A direct hit on the power lines within 3 to 5 miles of your house will get by the power strip overvoltage suppressor as well.
    Excellent advice. A big problem here in Ireland where the vast majority of users connect via modem/telephone cable.

When a PC is turned on - leave it on. It reduces the life of the PC to be constantly turning it on and off.

Always keep a record of your Dial-up/ISP/e-mail settings/user names and passwords separate from your hard drive i.e. written down. The day will come when you need them.

Originally posted by michaeln
    When a PC is turned on - leave it on. It reduces the life of the PC to be constantly turning it on and off.
    What about if I put it on stand-by alot? I do that when I'm not using my computer so I won't waste electricity.

If you make something so simple even a (l)user can do it, your company will just hire dumber (l)users.
    I am disrespectful to dirt!

Originally posted by tycoonist

What about if I put it on stand-by alot? I do that when I'm not using my computer so I won't waste electricity.

Don't really know about standby mode. I never use it. Someone else here might have an idea about standby mode

I read an article last month where a guy used his PC too cook an egg... step by step photos and all. Don't know if it was BS but it was pretty funny!

Using a shotgun, while effective for creating "vents" in a case, is generally considered destruction of property. Don't do that for a "customer". Also, remove the drives/boards before doing so

Hmmm...
    I think I'll remember that "Shotgun" tip, gfunkmartin...
    could come in handy..
    'cuz I'm out here in Texas, 'n
    customers get a bit wilder then most places.....
    we have a lot of "cooling problems" if ya' know what I mean...
    hawhawhaw!!
    Attached Images Attached Images