Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Need some more help folks..Win95 install

This is old 25 pin serial connector:
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is a modem... (I know you know that!)
    but to illustrate..Look on it for jumper pins.

If the modems not working or you want to check if the computer is able to communicate with it:
    open My Computer
    open Control Panel
    open Modems
    Select the diagnostics tab.
    (The modem shouldn't be in use when using this test)

The select the "More info" button.Windows will then attempt to communicate with the modem.
    If it works, the next screen will show up like this:

You can tell a lot of info about the modem with this screen.

You can also check the other coms and it will show irq and address (and uart chip which is usually irrelevent).

jeez, i get an email every time you post--ever considered consolidating some of your posts?

Ok, I'm gonna have to make this short..gotta strong thunderstorm starting to move thru my area.
    I got the generic printer set up and I saved the print.

In checking the modem: the "device is working properly". In control panel/modem: port = telepath selected, but has com5 also in the selection window NOT selected, max speed 115200, no driver needed or loaded. In modem/diagnostics: serial mouse/no port, telepath/com2, no modem installed/com5 (this is interesting).

Regarding ports: Com, disabled/no drivers loaded or needed. Com5, disabled/no drivers loaded or needed/no conflicts. Com2/telepathx2. Printer port/LPT1.

Why do I even need the **** modem? I'm gonna stay on cable and don't need a voice modem.

Picked up some info on the zip drive: should not install zip drive until the software is installed. What??? That's what it says...but the OEM installed this thing, so I don't know.

I'll get back on the net after this storm passes. Thanks guys.

Originally posted by jim.t
    ...in checking the modem: the "device is working properly". In control panel/modem: port = telepath selected, but has com5 also in the selection window NOT selected, max speed 115200, no driver needed or loaded. In modem/diagnostics: serial mouse/no port, telepath/com2, no modem installed/com5 (this is interesting).

Regarding ports: Com, disabled/no drivers loaded or needed. Com5, disabled/no drivers loaded or needed/no conflicts. Com2/telepathx2. Printer port/LPT1.
    ok, you didn't get some of your earlier telepath installation attempts completely uninstalled... i'd be suprised if your modem works on either port. (possible sliding port issue)

do you have a track ball or some other non-standard microsoft mouse attached to this system?

Originally posted by jim.t ...
    Picked up some info on the zip drive: should not install zip drive until the software is installed. What??? That's what it says...but the OEM installed this thing, so I don't know.
    that's what happens in an oem install... the software, os and driver load are written to the hard drive in one pass, before it is connected to the motherboard. since your operating system doesn't depend on bios to identify atapi devices, software plays a bigger role in their configuration (on new systems, CD-RW drives often remain undetected until the burning software is installed)

So, Do I need to remove everythng and redo the installs from ground up? Another strange thing I noticed...the cd-rom is not detected in device mgr when I do a cold boot. But, after I cold boot and restart there it is...alive and well. This is got to be the strangest deal I've ever seen.

I think what I'm gonna do is take out the zip (don't use it anyway), clear NVRAM and see what I've got. No other devices are present. All I will have after zip removal will be hard drive, floppy, and cd-rw in place of the cd-rom.

Is it necessary for the telepath to be installed if I'm only gonna use cable modem to go online? Probably have to pull the modem card also, but the dialup modem is connected to another card (not sure which one) though. That might save me some frustration if not needed. Not sure.

BTW, storm knocked out my cable access and just got it back.
    Last edited by jim.t; 03-27-2002 at 06:41 PM.

if you aren't going to use it, remove the telepath. you'll probably still see com5 ,though it won't matter.

if you are comfortable in the registry, search and delete all registry keys found during a search for "telepath" and "usr101"--be sure to move the slider back to computer (at the top) after each search, and search twice for each.

I've worked in the registry before and feel fairly comfortable. Would you pull the card to prevent "phantom" detects? Is it so screwed up now that I should clear NVRAM and redo?

Also, the modem has a wired connection to the (I think) soundcard. There's a straight wire connector from the top of the modem to the top of the soundcard. Gateway says it is:

"This cable is needed for using the speakerphone or playing back voice messages. The cable transfers the sounds between the modem and the sound card so that you can hear the sounds."

Can this just be disconnected?
    Last edited by jim.t; 03-28-2002 at 08:32 AM.

no need to reinstall OS... just remove card, including atapi cable,

boot into safe mode and uninstall modem in the modem control applet

make sure modem is removed from modems and sounds, video, game controllers in device manager

search registry for "telepath" and "usr101" and delete keys if found

enable com5 & com in device manager then remove
    remove all phantom devices

empty recycle bin

modem should not come back... not sure about the com ports

Ok, this is what I have now. No splats anywhere. Removed the zip drive, telepath card(and all it's associations) and com and com5 from ports (device mgr). I re-enabled serial 2 and Ports has com1 and com2. That part looks good. Finally got the com ports looking ok.

Re-installed the network card and drivers, but can't seem to get a connection. I pinged from PC1 and PC2 and got good results...4 replies of 32 data bytes, so the card is being recognized. I setup TCP/IP and Netbeui and the network adapter is bound to these. Also enabled file sharing and set the appropriate checks. I must be forgetting something. It says not to set an IP address and to check "Obtain an IP automatically", but not getting through.

in TCP/IP, should you use DHCP for WINS resolution and disable DNS?

i suggest you remove NetBeui and get TCP/IP working before reinstalling NetBeui...

do you have the correct computer name and work group?
    Last edited by Fatal_Exception; 03-28-2002 at 04:08 PM.

As if by magic, I now have internet capabilities with PC2. But, the file sharing is still not there.

WINS config is disabled on PC1 and PC2. Gateway on PC1 and 2 nothing. DNS is disabled on PC1 and 2.

If I recall back when I set it up the last time, I had to enter the 192.169.0.2 (whatever) to get file-sharing to work on PC2. Lost my notes from the last time, so I don't no where to patch this thing.

Also, can I download IE 5.5 and it work on Win95? If so, should I D/L it from MS?

you shouldn't have any trouble with ie5 or 6 and yes, download it from microsof. make sure nothing else is going on when you do the install.

ghost that sucker first, though.

like simon and garfunkel said, you're "homeward bound" my friend.