Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Female members at SysOpt !?

Female members at SysOpt !?

I'll try to make this as politically correct as possible.

Im a second year Electrcial Engineering student at a highly rated school in Manhattan. There are FOUR (4) girls in my major, and they are only there because everyone who gets admitted to the school gets a full tuition scholarship and they don't even really like what they're learning.

I have never in my short life have even heard of a girl that has seen the inside of a computer. I'm not even going to mention fooling with hardware or building a PC.

So, sare there actually techie girls out there? And how do you (the girls, women, whatever) come around to become techies?

With guys its simple: we want everything faster, better, meaner, louder and most of all better than every1 else's.

But how do girls end up getting into optimizing computers?

I don't know why that is. :0)

I'm in college doing comp eng. and there were like 6 girls out of my class of 180. After 3 terms there is 1 left, and she's not that interested in the stuff either, she's in it for the money. I'v never been able to figure out why it was always guys who were into computers and video games more. All I know is that if I met a nice girl who could configure apache and code PHP I'd be in heaven.

~Paul
    |}~(O)~{|

Making my gf learn PHP now. She's a future lawyer though, so its not much hope.

I'll make this as Politely incorrect as possible:

Much like the rest of corporate america, the workforce is dominated by males.

Much like female car enthusiasts and female NRA members, there are female Computer enthusiasts/techs.

I can only assume that in your area there is not a large percentage of women who are into computers, why that is, I couldn't begin to guess. However, here in San Francisco and in San Jose, I see that maybe 1 in 5 techs are female.

The following is my own personal experience and in no way is meant to be the voice of female techs everywhere, read at your own risks:

Much like any other jobs I've worked, I have been treated, as a whole, poorly by my male counterparts. I am 33 years old and only 7 years ago wormed my way into computers after I discovered I had a knack for being able to fix them. I did not go to school. I do not have any certificates. Maybe that is what makes them upset? I do know males with less experience and no certificates who they have treated like one of the guys.

This is not my current job, which I love and I really respect my boss and co-workers who are all male:

Most of the time I get the males who treat me like an idiot. I mean, they call to get something fixed. I show up and blamo testosterone fills the air and suddenly these shmucks who 10 mins ago couldn't figure out how to change thier novell password are suddenly Netware Admins in their offtime...Or I get the slimy jerks who want to touch and/or sit behind me looking down my shirt (I now ware baggy and unrevealing clothes that go to my neck).

I am going to stop now becasue I am getting irritated, not at any one in these forums...

Anyway, bottom line is this: I think that there are many many women who are interested in computers, but I think they do not get into computers becuase of the way they are treated..Stop trying to show me the **** Visor mirror when I asked about how how many other cars of the same type were brought in with transmission problems!!! Stop trying to tell me that a **** Pentium 4 2gig is going to be faster surfing the internet than the Duron 900 I am currently using!!!

Stop treating women as freaks for liking computers. Stop acting like you know everything just because you are phsyically attracted to them but are so emotionally stunted you don't know how to act and so then revert back to grade school when all you could do to show affection was to act aggressivly by pulling our hair...metaphorically speaking of course.

Again, I am not suggesting anyone here is that way. As a matter of fact, I frequent this forum as well as Windrivers and everyone that knows I am female has treated me with respect, when it came to computers...
    Tiger, tiger, burning bright,
    In the forest of the night,
    What immortal hand or eye
    Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

My little 13 year old girl cousin has seem a lot inside of a computer~~~~~of course, while I was fixing and upgrading her computer.

Originally posted by Lycia
    ...As a matter of fact, I frequent this forum as well as Windrivers...
    Hehehehe....I thought that was you.
    I am disrespectful to dirt!

Originally posted by Mr. Sparkle

Hehehehe....I thought that was you.
    Who is you?
    Tiger, tiger, burning bright,
    In the forest of the night,
    What immortal hand or eye
    Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Originally posted by Lycia

Who is you?

Well, they say a picture is worth a thousand words, so....

I am disrespectful to dirt!

Re: Female members at SysOpt !?

Originally posted by OlegB
    I have never in my short life have even heard of a girl that has seen the inside of a computer. I'm not even going to mention fooling with hardware or building a PC.

So, sare there actually techie girls out there? And how do you (the girls, women, whatever) come around to become techies?

But how do girls end up getting into optimizing computers?
    i don't think you'll be able to relate to my experience, but here goes...

political correctness aside, i was dancing in a club when a bunch of old hippies came in from out of town, and though they had all been computer nerds since the sixties, they looked perfectly normal.

i was 15-20 years younger than them, but moved in with them to learn computers. they needed lots more sleep than i, so they started giving me old computers to repair (instead of playing music) while they slept.

you could say, that i learned computers by doing computers.... i don't make near as much money as i did dancing, but my mind gets to keep in shape....

Sooo.. ur sayin that running and working on pc's is a "guy" thing?

Plz... Ok lets see how many "guy" things I like,, I like rock music, boxing,motorcycles,cars,baseball, I have climbed into an egine and unbolted the tranni only cuz I was only one small enough to get in there. I can change my own oil and a flat tire.
    ...I know my way around my pc, because it is mine and its my responsibility to know what is does n how. I spend quite alot of time helping olther run and fix their puter and most r guys "my puter is running slow" umm so I delete cookies n history temp internet, run scan disk so on ...

I had a post while back called unfair to women, was about how I pretty much got shafted at a tire place becuz im a women.

We are not dumb and beneath men, and it angers me to read such things.

Originally posted by Sunn
    Sooo.. ur sayin that running and working on pc's is a "guy" thing?
    no, i'm not.... i'm saying i got started working on computers to give me something to do at night when i couldn't sleep. i routinely repair computers for the guys i live with....

We are not dumb and beneath men, and it angers me to read such things.
    on the whole, i much prefer men beneath me.... no man has ever managed to make me feel dumb, though i occasionally do dumb things... one of the guys i live with hacked into my test scores and found out i made 1584 on my SAT in high school--now they worry about what i think of them...

i don't like any of the things you like, except rock music... i can maintain my auto but i usually fix some guy's computer and let him get greasy...

i've learned over the years that most of the time an article is written that degrades women, it is written by an immature male--enough said... don't have a problem with slapping them around verbally, but its hard to get worked up about boys being boys...

i don't mind men looking at me and have enough class to handle rude and obnoxious characters... i wear what i feel like wearing as circumstances dictate, and i truly enjoy wearing silk...

it occasionally amuses me to wear something provocative when i want to ambush a man or woman with intelligence or well-reasoned views...

...sorry Fatal

My post was aimed @ Olegb

I totally agree with u.
    But im just tires of some of the things guys have to say bout what we should n shouldn't be doin..
    no worries
    ps.. I like alot of girlie stuff to lol but doesn't mean I can't do alot of other things.. men r good =-]] most of em lol

But im just tires of some of the things guys have to say bout what we should n shouldn't be doin..
    i take no notice of what a guy says i should or shouldn't be doing unless he emphasizes it with a fist... you can't help but notice trash.... i was dating a guy that thought he could control me, when i met my old hippy heroes and moved in with them...

... still waiting for my story ...

I like women

Yo, I'm lucky then !!!
    I study at the radioengineering faculty, at the electronic apparatus production and design. So, I'm connected to my PC every day. My specialization makes it so.
    So, my girl did learned many of the issues. She knows what is GPU, CPU, RAM, HDD, CD-RW, what is OS, and what vsync do.
    She knows about the resolution, L1 and L2 cache, what is DDR and waits for an Athlon XP 1700+ with me.
    Man, I'm happy !!!