Thread: Crash & Reboot problem when running programs...

Crash & Reboot problem when running programs...

Hello- Can anyone help me with a problem that is causing my computer to crash and/or reboot when I am installing software, running my programs like Norton Utilities, or using my cd-rom burner. This generally happens about 2 minutes into the operation.
    I am getting as message that reads as follows: A fatal exception has occurred at 0028: C004E99A in VXD VCACHE (01) + 000019A The current application will be terminated. In addition, when I reboot the message from scandisk states: Scandisk has detected an invalid long file name but was unable to fix it. This message always pops up when it is about 32% complete. I have run my CONFIGSYS in win 98, and my Norton Utilities program, but it it doesn't help. When I run Norton Antivirus 2002, it always crashes when it gets to the filepath C:/windows/suystem/wbem/repository. My system consists as follows: Win98 SE P4, 1700 mhz, 768mb pc133 sdram, ASUS P4B motherboard, aopen dvd, acer 24x cd-rom burner, and a Riva TNT2 M64 video card. Any help would be appreciated- minihertz

Disabling write behind caching for all drives before installation might correct this issue, limiting memory to 512MB, and testing memory might help, but regardless

if you have a dsl or cable modem disconnect it.

delete temp files, history, and temporary internet files

delete files with CHK extension from root of C:\

boot to safe mode and run thorough scandisk and defragment

(if you can't resolve your issue then run an online virus scan and then download and run anti-trojan.exe OR boot to CD and fdisk, format unconditionally, and reinstall)
    Last edited by Fatal_Exception; 03-11-2002 at 04:53 AM.