Thread: New comput. But windows won't load any one know ??

New comput. But windows won't load any one know ??

Me again. I'm getting close. I started the computer and put the 98 se disk in my cdrom. I get it to boot up with the cdrom. it scans the computer to see what it has, then use the cdrom to install windows but. after it loads the windows setup wizard and hits 100% the hour glass comes on and it freezes. I've waited 10 mins and nothing. but I can move the hour glass around. like it just stopped loading. any ideals ??

Try copying the entire content of the cdrom into your harddisk, and run setup from there manually. I got that problem on my office sometimes when i am installing a new PC for some client. Most of the times copying it to your harddisk and running setup from there will work.

Good luck.

Originally posted by Volts
    Try copying the entire content of the cdrom into your harddisk, and run setup from there manually. I got that problem on my office sometimes when i am installing a new PC for some client. Most of the times copying it to your harddisk and running setup from there will work.

Good luck.
    I'm tkinking that it isn't reading my hard drive. so I'm going to check into that a little more. I wouldn't have any ideal how to get the entire disk loaded onto the hard disk. Guess I'm to new at this.
    But thatnks for the ideal. I may have to learn it soon.

when it gets to the point that it freezes, turn the power off. restart and rerun setup (you should gett a safe recovery restart, but possibly not)

you may have to do this more than once, but eventually you will get a safe mode startup, then go to RUN and type asd to determine what device is causing the problem.

Originally posted by Fatal_Exception
    when it gets to the point that it freezes, turn the power off. restart and rerun setup (you should gett a safe recovery restart, but possibly not)

you may have to do this more than once, but eventually you will get a safe mode startup, then go to RUN and type asd to determine what device is causing the problem.
    I did get it in. I ended up pulling all the extra ards out. sound and modem. and it went in. Now i'm just fine tuning it. It dose load slow considering it's a P4 1.7 GHz must still have something wronge in bios

But thanks for the ideals joe

When I do a new build or reinstall an OS (except for Linux), I always start with motherboard, drives, RAM, and video card. After you get the OS installed, then motherboard drivers, then video, I start adding the PCI cards one at a time.

This is time consuming, but you end up with a much more stable install
    Yeah, I know, you can't do this with an all-in-one motherboard, but in that case, just cancel the driver installs and do one at a time, restarting after each driver.

if you are still having slow loading, you can disable features in bios that you won't be using. since you have xp, bios isn't that important anyway.

A couple of points not mentioned that may be useful to others:

To run Windows install from the HD, you don't need the entire disk copied over. Only the Win98 directory is needed. All the .cab files are there. This site, and the setup.txt file on the CD tells how to do it. Look under the section entitled "Installing Windows 98 Second Edition from Your Hard Disk".

Doing the installation from the HD will also eliminate the need to pull out the CD every time you add new hardware. Windows automatically searches the directory from where it was loaded. In this case, it looks for the w98flat directory on the hard drive. Much quicker, and less chance of screwing up the CD by constantly flipping it in and out. I've done all my installations this way (95, 98, ME) with zero problems.

Also, cnn, be sure to enable DMA mode for the hard drive in Windows. That's something that I occasionally forget to do upon first boot. It makes a major difference in speed.

To do this, right click on My Computer and select Properties. (You can also get here by going to Start > Settings > Control Panel > System.) Click the Device MAnager tab. Click the '+' beside Disk Drives. Select your hard drive (probably Generic IDE Disk Type47). Click the Properties button at the bottom (or right click on the hard drive and select Properties there). Click the Settings tab. Click the box beside DMA (you'll want to see a check mark there to signify that it's enabled). Then click Ok. There will be a warning popup in there somewhere, but if your HD is a recent model, you can just click past that. After clicking Ok on the System Properties Window, you'll be asked to restart. Go ahead and do that and then see if your speed problem is solved.

Do this on any other hard drives or CD drives in the system. Performance is much better after that. Note that CD drives are listed under CDROM as opposed to Disk Drives.
    Over 6GHz for Overclockers SETI
    Athlon 1400@1470; 1.75V 38-42C 10.5x140; Abit KT7A; SK6; 256M Spectek PC133 CAS2
    Athlon 1333@1500; 1.8V 38-42C 10x150; IWill KK266 1.2; Dr Thermal TI-V77; 256M Spectek PC133 CAS3
    P3 1100@1300; 1.75V 28-32C 118x11; AOpen AX37Pro; imitation Gladiator w/ Galaxy38; 256M Crucial 2100
    P3 866@1105; 1.85V 26-28C 170x6.5; Abit VH6-2; Gladiator w/ Delta38; 768M generic PC133 @ minus PCI clock CAS3
    P2 400@456; 2.05V ??-??C 114x4; Abit VT6X4; POS HSF; 256M Spectek PC100 CAS2
    C1 400@600; 2.2V 38-40?C 100x6; PCChips M748LMRT w/ Gigabyte GA6R7 slotket; P3 stock HSF; 256M Kingston PC133 CAS2
    P2 300@300; laptop