Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: who uses opera browser ?

who uses opera browser ?

just wondering what people thought of it pro's & con's etc I am using it and i quite like it

I've been using it since v. 5.11, I like it a lot.

Unfortunately some sites are programmed so bad that you can only view them with that **** IE.
    --- Panta Rei ---

i love MS Internet Explorer, but Opera is the Second best.

it is even better than Netscape. i first used the 3.1 version which was a bullsh*t but hey improved it ALOT in the 5.11 Version and finally 6.1 is the finest they have ever made, forget that fuc**ng Netscape 6.1, Opera is the best "MS Internet Explorer" Alternative, but Internet Explorer RULEZ!
    SpoLT(syedasadraza@hotmail.com)

Horses for Courses.

We do at our school network because it gets round the internet filtering proxy they have (even the IT head admits it is a crappy filter though, it has been known to block out google.com in the past and sometimes refreshing the page would get round some sites.)

But I don't like it because a) I don't want to only have half the screen visable for a page after the ads etc. (well it is about 1/2 with the school's PCs res of 800x600)

b) I am used to the "feel" of IE and I like the way you can get the entire toolbar down to one thin line.

c) I eventually gave up when it wouldn't work with a irc:// link :o
    Being the lazy type I always launch one irc place I go to occasionally (I go weekly, so often enough for this feature to be annoying, yet not enough for it to be worth adding to my mIRC server list :o just sheer laziness I guess)

However I did like:

d) being able to turn off pictures when you just want a page to actually load while you are downloading something.

e) The MDI forms are a good idea. While I myself prefer desktop pages, having pages docked I can see can be useful for some people and things.

f) The download manager was good. While I use a separate plugin, if Ie had always had a manager like opera then maybe the whole download manager software would never have really started and thus my system would be free of spyware where it is not :/

Opera kicks much behind. It is a much faster browser than IE and Netscape. And since being an internet technologies instructor, I make sure I have my students test their websites using Opera 6. I like Netscape 6.2 since it is so much better than their initial release of 6.0, but they're all sticks in the mud when launching the browser (except for Opera of course). The one annoying thing about Opera is the big fricking banner ad. It takes up way too much space so that's why most people end up registering it.

I dabble in opera. sometimes.
    I like K-Meleon better, lighter and faster, it's my browseof choice.

Madfish

Re: who uses opera browser ?

Originally posted by stu
    just wondering what people thought of it pro's & con's etc I am using it and i quite like it
    I love Opera 6. I have been using Opera on my PC at home for several years now exclusively and I use IE at work on my MAC. I like the fact that it is not IE and several other goodies...
    To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've
    wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went
    to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.

Love Opera!
    Its a wonderful thing
    I typically have my screen set to a high res so the banner doesn't bother me too much its fits to the side of all the buttons just fine. However, its fast as greased owl sh** and I love that if you know you're going into a bad zone you can quickly shut off pop up ads. (I do allow pop ups on some sites, to allow the sites to gain some revenue)

Make I make a request?
    If you use Opera, press F12 (quick preferences) and choose "Identify as Opera".

If we want these sites to get away from IE exclusive programming, we've got to make them realize that us opera users are out there. If everybody leaves it at Identify as IE 5.5.. well duh then websites are going to continue to program solely for IE

Yes it is a MINOR inconvenience, but I've been running like this for quite some time now and I rarely run into problems

abit's page btw, SUCKS!!!!
    F$%%$^$!&&!^%$

There is nothing wrong with "IE programming" That shouldn't happen with webpages. They are supposed to be written in an industry standard code.

So if something isn't shown as the author intended then it really is the fault of the web browser not the webpage designer.

No actually that is completely false.

There IS code that is specific to IE because IE does NOT follow standards.

Go to www.abit.com.tw in IE then look at it in Opera.. there is script that is specific to IE in that.

There are numerous sites that are tailored to IE.
    You can view abit's page in numerous browsers and it ONLY works in IE that I've seen (and that includes NS 6.1)

Haven't tried in Konqueror or Galeon however (nor mozilla)

Opera is by FAR more html standard than IE.

I stick with IE as my main browser, but I do use Opera every now and then for testing purposes. Also, when I'm using Linux, Opera is all I use.
    I am disrespectful to dirt!

richard_cocks

Opera's download manager works kinda like Netscape's "SmartDownload".
    There is now a smartdownload version (1.3 and greater)for IE.
    SmartDownload

Re: the toolbar in Opera. you can create your own styles/skins of our own look & feel in Opera.
    I personally have the toolbars/icons tunrned off. I use only text for the menu,(more viewing space) and I move around via the hotkeys.

have fun......keep learning
    Last edited by stylin19; 03-16-2002 at 02:11 AM.

I love Opera 6, it's fast and flexible. Sometimes, especially when using one of my housemate's systems, I have to use IE and I can't believe how clunky it feels in comparison.

And the ad-bar doesn't bother me at 1024x768.

I agree with Mr Sparkle

(btw that is a really funny Simpson episode)

Opera is going on my Linux box when I get home tonight