Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: USB 2.0 TO SATA IDE CABLE does not work properly

USB 2.0 TO SATA IDE CABLE does not work properly

Hi

I tried to use new branded “R-Driver III” USB 2.0 TO SATA IDE CABLE device with Laptop HD IDE and Desktop HD IDE (once at a time) but it did not show me the HD , although I checked Disk Management (each one at a time)

I thought the problem with “ R-Driver III ”, about another one branded as Ritmo

Still the same problem is going on with both Hard Disks (external power source is used for 3.5 HD not 2.5,,,,,,,,I can hear spinning for 3.5 but not for 2.5)

I jumpered HD3.5 as master then slave,,,still I can not access it (although master/slave jumper settings might not come into play when we are using USB connections)

Both hard disks are working if I hook them into a computer

The device that I was talking about is same as in the link below

http://techacs.blogspot.com/2007/11/...ide-cable.html

Any thought would be appreciated

Thanks

When I connected USB 2.0 TO SATA IDE CABLE to my laptop (before it was being connected to desktop),,,I received this message :

http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?i...rsamsunghd.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?im...tforsamsun.jpg

I'd normally use master or CS for a single drive. You wouldn't jumper a 2.5" drive in most cases.

Are these working drives you took from other systems?

So your G: drive is showing as a partition of the main drive? what does disk management look like without the USB adapter?

Are these working drives you took from other systems?
    Yes.

So your G: drive is showing as a partition of the main drive? what does disk management look like without the USB adapter?
    You can not see the drive G.

So G: is part of your main drive? I see G: on Drive 0 in your disk management, but I don't see a file system on it. Is that a Linux partition or something?

Before the drives show up in disk management, they need to be in device manager. Do you see any errors there?

So G: is part of your main drive? I see G: on Drive 0 in your disk management,
    Sorry G is not the main drive. It is the external 3.5 HD (That my thread is about it) that is connected via USB TO SATA IDE CABLE

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    1. Log on as administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
    2. Click Start, click Run, type compmgmt.msc, and then click OK.
    3. In the console tree, click Disk Management. The Disk Management window appears. Your disks and volumes appear in a graphical view and list view. To customize how you view your disks and volumes in the upper and lower panes of the window, point to Top or Bottom on the View menu, and then click the view that you want to use.

Is that drive seen there?

If it is:

To view the properties of a partition or logical drive:
    1. In the Disk Management window, right-click the partition or logical drive that you want, and then click Properties.
    2. Click the appropriate tab to view the appropriate property.

What does it say?

Looking at the picture from post #2, G: is part of drive 0. see red areas of attached pic. If you remove the external does G disappear?

If the external drive is somehow overlapping drive letters with the G: partition on your main drive, that's an issue. you'll need to change the drive letter for one or the other.

Please post a screenshot of your device manager so that we can verify that your USB drive is installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking at the picture from post #2, G: is part of drive 0. see red areas of attached pic. If you remove the external does G disappear?
    Sorry Midknyte,,,,it was my mistake and I was totally wrong what I have said.

G is not the external HD 3.5 it is unformatted partition of the main HD ,,,,I though mistakenly it is 3.5 HD, but it is not.

My apologu for what I have written.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    USB 2.0 TO SATA IDE CABLE

I would like to know where they came up with this technology?

Is it SATA or is it IDE? You can't have both at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling_Aug View Post
    USB 2.0 TO SATA IDE CABLE

I would like to know where they came up with this technology?

Is it SATA or is it IDE? You can't have both at the same time.
    It is so that you can use either a Sata drive via usb, or the other adapter to use a normal ol fashion IDE drive via usb.

Pretty common these days, i've got a few lying around at work.

I tried the USB device and HD 3.5 on my friend's laptop and it worked fine without any problem.

His OS is XP , does not have any utilities installed on his laptop , unlike mine which I have got heaps of utilities.

Therefore he told that might be my problem,,,,Any input for such type of suggestion ?

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Go into SAFE MODE, Device manager, Expand the USB.
    Remove all instances of USB. When all are removed, reboot to windows.
    The OS should pick the usb and install the drivers.

Had to do that last weekend to get rid of the multi installs that was messing things up.

Go into SAFE MODE, Device manager, Expand the USB.
    Remove all instances of USB. When all are removed, reboot to windows.
    The OS should pick the usb and install the drivers.

Had to do that last weekend to get rid of the multi installs that was messing things up.
    Brilliant that solved the problem.

Thanks for that , I have been struggling for 0ne week to find out where is the problem.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Well, Safe Mode is the only place where you can see the extraq install that are causing the problems. But the only way you can correct it, is to remove everything.

It usually works as you found out, but once in a while . . . .

Glad to hear things are working like they should again and THANKS for posting back!