Thread: Sharing desktop between 2 computers

Question Sharing desktop between 2 computers

Iwould like to share desktops between my two computers. 1 is upstairs and 1 downstairs. I'm looking to control the desktop, browser, files, etc., of the computer I am not currently using at that time (but it is on). They are both connected to a D-Link router, which is connected to my cable modem. They both have the latest windows updates as well. Here are the specs:

PC1:
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
    RAM: 2.00GB
    HDD: 250GB
    MOBO: A8N-SLI Premium
    Video: ATI Radeon HD 2600XT
    Audio: Creative X-Fi Audio Processor

PC2:
    CPU: Intel P4 1.8Ghz
    RAM 2.00GB
    HDD: 80GB and 120GB
    Video: ATI HD 3650
    Audio: USB SoundBlaster Live External Sound Card

Anyone have any suggestions? Due to the low specs on PC2, I need something that isn't a resource hog. A few programs I have tried were really difficult and slow, but perhaps I'm looking at the wrong kind of program? I've been looking at remote pc software, but a lot of them seem quite resource heavy.

Lifetime Friend of Staff

Teamviewer will work nicely for that.
    http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/index.aspx
    Install on both machines. During installation you will be given a choice of whether or not you want to be able to access this computer, when unattended, from a remote location, so watch for that, otherwise it will be necessary to have someone grant permission each time from the remote location.
    It's free for non-commercial use.

Have used Teamviewer in the past and found it excellent however I now use Ammyy Admin as it is a much smaller footprint and much faster. It is a single .exe file and is not installed so it can be run from a memory stick or sd card. Here's the site http://www.ammyy.com/en/

It must be running on both machines however you can set it as a system service to autoload at bootup.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeln View Post
    Have used Teamviewer in the past and found it excellent however I now use Ammyy Admin as it is a much smaller footprint and much faster. It is a single .exe file and is not installed so it can be run from a memory stick or sd card. Here's the site http://www.ammyy.com/en/

It must be running on both machines however you can set it as a system service to autoload at bootup.
    Thanks for posting that Michael. At last, a service with reasonable rates for commercial use.