• Darn Loser

5 23.81%
  • Tom Cruise

2 9.52%
  • I dunno

2 9.52%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who the hell is Bill Gates?

This guy dropped out of college, and started one of the biggest companies in the world - Whether you like M$ or not, you gotta give him credit.

Sol

Bill Gates is one of the most brilliant computer engineers, who also comes from a fairly well-to-do family. His father was a well positioned corporate attorney and his mother sat on the board of directors of seveal charities.

Because his family was in the upper escheleon of the corporate world, Gates, unlike most of his peers, understood business and how to grow a business.

Gates' relationship with IBM came because the CEO of IBM knew Gates' mother from serving on a board of a charity with her. But remember, as a teenager Bill Gates was noted for some brilliance in the computer community!

But from his mother, Bill Gates also developed the heart to donate money. Gates has donated a tremendous amount of money and has declared that he will donate 95% of his wealth to charity when he passes.

i'm just afraid that he will donate it to a charity such as unicef which is proven to be a scam

Willy is smart, he'll donate it to the charities which actually do stuff.

He's made a career of getting others to develop his products and then stealing(?), adsorbing, or putting them out of business in time for version 3 (of everything), the point when Microsoft traditionally announces their incredible new features designed to make computers better for everyone.

He also donates less to charity than men with a 2-10% his wealth, but then again he's probably got something important planned for mankind. To bad he doesn't much care for the sheep he shears.

What's there not to admire about this man?

he's amazing. you guys don't realize how important good marketing is. do you remember pokemon? the gameboy game was good (i had it) but everything else was totaly gay, wow a japanese cartoon where Brok keeps his eyes closed at all times and some scenes just show that chick literaly crying a lake yet pokemon was huge because of marketting.

Gosh how could I have overlooked the importance of marketing in improving mankind's lot! Is marketing empty calories or does it make a stomach feel fuller? You know, I also forgot that marketing is curing AIDS and making the world a safer place for casual sex. There is no denying that pokemon, pet rocks, and Windows Me have all done a world of good. I don't know what came over me and made me overlook such obvious humanitarian motivations.

pokemon still suck IMO

has anyone ever seen antitrust? thats how bill gates operates
    i prefer RHL 7.0 to windows, tho its not as easy to use, u get used to it
    i dont think the monopoly will ever be broken , besides, even if it did, who the heck would want to microsofts, equally powerful, no other os's would ever survive!!!

The Truth is actually the TRUTH

Well the truth is that M$ is something. It isnt like some other company whose ***** will be kicked. However they get the kicks in the form of Antitrust, but those kicks arent going to break the BALLZ OF STEEL.. hehe

and the second thing is that most of the people use WINDOWS just because they knew only WINDOWS, i.e. they have never heard of any other OS like linux, mac OS etc. They also use windows coz its the easiest, universal and the popular.
    people like some computer freaks or geeks can turn to another alternative os like LINUX or UNIX or etc, if people get to know that there are other OS'es in the world like windows, they will get to it.

And MS is indeed the greatest..

and behind the gr8st MS, there is BILL GATES

They must be allowed to do their monopoly coz they have changed the COMPUTER WORLD, imagine if there was no bill gates, there was no microsoft, what should we be doing?

Think about it!
    MS RULEZ

bye
    SpoiLT
    SpoLT(syedasadraza@hotmail.com)

LOl, a lot better methinks.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

Hi, just take a look at this http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/IhateMS.html
    Do not pay attention to "IhateMS" in the link because this document is very interesting.

The following extract shows how Bill Gates could sell an OS to IBM while it wasn't the best one.

"Later Gates did the same when IBM came to Microsoft for an operating system for their new Personal Computer. IBM had other preferred suppliers, but those were unavailable at that moment. (IBM went to Digital Research for an OS for their upcoming PC, but Gary Kildall --the author of CP/M-- wasn't in Pebble Beach the day they arrived for their appointment. His wife and lawyer wouldn't sign the non-disclosure agreement until Kildall had returned, a mistake that has gone on record as perhaps the most capital blunder in the history of the industry. This, and time restrictions, led up to IBM's visit to Microsoft. Gates recognized this lucky break for what it was, promised IBM an OS, and because he didn't have one and couldn't make one fast enough, he bought one and filed off the serial numbers. Again Gates demonstrated his commercial genius at that point."

Here another one on bugs :

"An internal memo among Microsoft developers mentions 63,000 (yes: sixty-three thousand) known defects in the initial Windows 2000 release. Keith White, Windows Marketing Director, did not deny the existence of the document, but claimed that the statements therein were made in order to "motivate the Windows development team". He went on to state that "Windows 2000 is the most reliable Windows so far."
    Ye gods. There are 63000 known defects in what Microsoft considers their best work so far. (Mind you, that's only the known bugs!) If that doesn't make you think, I don't know what will."

About marketing :

"Today most computer users know computer technology only through Microsoft products. They no longer learn about computing; the Windows user interface discourages anything beyond point-and-click actions. Like a child, they point at small pictures and they think they are knowledgeable about computers, while the marketroids wax lyrical about how easy and exciting it is.
    And that's the basis on which many IT managers choose the platforms for their future investments! That and the comforting knowledge that "nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft."
    God help us. "

And finally, NT vs Unix :

"It's interesting to note that, according to Microsoft, the performance and reliability of Windows NT is on par with that of Unix, and that clustered NT and 2000 servers will replace the mainframe. I'm not kidding. That's what they say. If you're at all familiar with the kind of platform required for mission-critical applications, you will know how ludicrous that is. And if you're not, here's something for you to think about: when Microsoft acquired Hotmail, the successful free Email service, the system had roughly 10 million users, and the core systems that powered Hotmail all ran Unix. Today the number of Hotmail users exceeds 50 million, but in spite of Microsoft's claims about the power of NT, Hotmail is still mainly powered by Unix, except for a few relatively minor front-end functions. Food for thought. "

Pierre.