Thread: What's Open GL?Is this the reason for my problem?

What's Open GL?Is this the reason for my problem?

Now I've got the next problem: when I play games IE Fifa 2002, the game runs great but when I push the start button (pause) the menu is "scrambled". Sometimes I only get the upper part of the menu, sometimes the fonts are "fuzzy"...
    Other games: same problem; usually with some kind of menu IE controller settings...
    What's the problem, is it Open GL or something like that?
    What is Open GL exactly and where can I get the right one?

A link for the question what is open gl? open gl

There are two basic types of graphic functions used by game developers; OpenGL and Directx. OpenGL was mostly used by the now defunct 3DFX video card maker and is popular with the Quake engines. Other games use the DirectX (current version is 8.1) which was developed by Microsoft so that game developers could write directly to the screen without going through the normal Windows calls, which slows down the gaming experience.

You may have to upgrade to some more recent drivers for the video card, the game or the motherboard chipset. All of these drivers have a part in how the image looks.

Cheers!

I have installed the lateste videocard-drivers, latest chipset-drivers, latest directx and open GL...
    What could it be, it"s driving me crazy!

Actually, Jimstep, the Glide API was used in 3Dfx hardware whereas OpenGL was the alternative for use in other hardware(D3D was in it's infancy then). OpenGL has it's roots in the SGI (Silicon Graphics - Unix) world and was used for 3D modeling before the gaming community adopted it.

D3D has gotten good enough to supplant OpenGL because it's more scalable. The OpenGL community has a plan for a major update to the standard in the near future to keep it competitive. Hmmm...we'll see. Should be fun!
    MS MCP, MCSE

Oh! I stand corrected.

Now that I've recommended going to the latest drivers, there are some cases where the vendor doesn't recommend changing drivers unless you have a problem. VIA is one such vendor that goes by the rule, if it's not broke then don't mess with it. You might try different combinations of driver releases.

Aren't you that guy with "ATI Rage LT Pro AGP 2x" problem ?!

Well, OpenGL has nothing to do with your problem since FIFA2002 uses Direct3D

Your problem is your videocard. It was good once, now it's quite outdated
    If gaming is important for you, any GeForce2 MX400 or better should meet your basic needs. If your needs are more than basic, then it's already another story

D3D has gotten good enough to supplant OpenGL because it's more scalable.
    BipolarBill : What you can't say about Direct3D is that it's more scalable than OpenGL. From all my experience in programming in both APIs, Direct3D still got a long way to go to match OpenGL's flexibility and scalability. In OpenGL you only write few new extensions while in D3D you need whole new version.
    IMHO

I'm sure you're right, ND. I have always heard just what you are saying now. This article set me back a wee bit.

Enjoy the read!
    MS MCP, MCSE

Already read it about a week ago

I like OpenGL more and prefer using it over Direct3D if I have a choice, but the only thing that bothers me is that every videocard manufacturer is trying to comply to MS' DirectX while only nVIDIA managed to develop good fast and stable OpenGL drivers (no offense, ATI fans )

back to basics: FYI
    OpenGL = Open graphics library
    previous posts have great explanations on what it is.

OpenGL = Open graphics library
    Funny...I wanted to ask that, ironik311 Thanks!
    MS MCP, MCSE