Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: memory problems

memory problems

:o Please help!!!
    I recently purchased an emonster 100b without and os system loaded. I have win98 and loaded that os. I am having memory problems. It came with 128 mb. Yet when I try to scandisc I am advised there is not enough memory and I should close programs and then maybe it will work. I have no other programs running.

Any suggestions????

Did you CTRL/ALT/DEL and END TASK everything except EXPLORER and SYSTRAY ?
    Otherwise, run your scandisk while in safe mode.

are you scandisking in windows? or will it get that far? you might try safe mode, or go under start menu>programs>accessories>system tools>system information. Then click on tools, and choose system configuration utility. click on the startup tab and uncheck all the stuff you don't have to have to run.. then reboot. Hopefully that'll help.

-scott

memory problems

I just went and tried your suggestion of of making sure everything is closed but systray and explorer. Same result. It advised that I do not have enough memory.

Still lost in memory land

I do to start button and then to programs etc..... to do the scan disc..

Try safe mode. Reboot, hold down the CTRL key. At the menu, pick safe mode. Go from there.

ok I guess I am out of my league. I tried rebooting holding down the ctrl key. When the screen popped up giving me the option to go to safe mode it appears the keyboard is not working. I can press f5 for safe mode but nothing happens. I can not type scandisc due to the fact the key do not match what is coming up on the screen. ahhhhh

Ok.........one more try ! Go to start/shutdown. Restart in MS Dos mode. At the C: prompt, type in scandisk.Press enter. See if that works.

Ok that worked.

Thanks

Do you know if there is someplace to change memory allocation in the event this memory problem rears it's ugly head at some other application.

I was wondering if this is a problem with win98 on a penIII and that maybe I need a newer version os.

Any thoughts

Thanks again

Also, check your virtual mem manager in windows.
    Cont Panel>system>performance>Virtual mem.
    Select to let you manage. set to 2.5 x 128mb =320 minimum
    320 maximum
    Then save and reboot.
    Also, make sure that the drive (C,D) that you place your swap file on has more then 320 mb free.Put it on the fastest drive and the drive that has the most space free.

Glad that worked for you. It sounds like some background programs are not shutting down properly. Do you know what you have running, as far as startups ? You might have some things in there that could be unchecked. If you are not familiar with this you can post them here and we could take a look at it.
    Go to Run. Type in msinfo32. Click software/startup programs. Click edit/select all, edit/copy. Paste it back here.

Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.1998
    Upgrade using Full OEM CD /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=E:\WIN98 /IZ /IS /IQ /IT /II /NR /Uxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    IE 5 5.50.4522.1800
    Uptime: 0:00:23:40
    Normal mode
    On "MARLENE" as

GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology
    127MB RAM
    55% system resources free
    Windows-managed swap file on drive C (18182MB free)
    Available space on drive C: 18182MB of 19055MB (FAT32)

any ideas

When to get to the system information window. On the left side, you will see SOFTWARE with a plus + sign next to it. Click that and then look for STARTUP PROGRAMS. That window (startups) is the one you need to copy.

I have one other problem I will send out to you guys. I can now not access my control panel from the start button. I have to go to explorer and enter from there. I am not sure when this occurred. When I started loading os it was working. I have since loaded software for CDRW, emachine keyboard, as well as assorted games and such.

Try what I said, it's a more effecient and faster swap file to keep it the same size then to let windows keep changing the size of it.
    If it doesn't correct your problem, I would still leave it this way since it is a safe tweaking method.