Thread: can't access cmos

can't access cmos

Hi all, I'm working on a Packard Bell PII350 with a PB 870 mobo,and when it boots it hangs after the "system configuration data update" screen. Sometimes it will go to a screen that says choose esc to continue or f1 to enter setup. When this screen comes up it boots and alows me to enter setup or go to XP. Most of the time it just sits there not letting me enter setup or do anything else. I have not touched the bios. Could it be the battery? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx Ed

Check your cables, make sure they are tight. Make sure none of the pins are bent. Make sure the cables are good. Try different ones. Make sure none of the cables are inverted, especially the FDD cable. Make sure your HDD is getting power, is the power cable to the drive plugged in all the way. You may want to try another HDD on the system if the other recommendations fail to help you. It may be HHD failure.
    Less likely, poorly seated ram or bad ram, try one stick and reseat it well. Insufficient or poor power supply but I doubt this.
    Bad CMOS battery is a long shot since the system should power up without it and allow you to go into BIOS. Only the settings wouldn't be able to be saved.

frank5, Thanx I tried the cables but not a different hd. I'll try the hd on another system. Why would it boot once in a while and not let me into setup?
    Thanx Ed

When did this problem happen? Sounds like a bad setting in bios. You can reset your cmos. Tell me this first cant you boot the computer or you just have a problem getting into cmos?
    Chris Stafford

As above, try going into BIOS, and choosing the default or optimal settings. If this fails, you may want to clear your BIOS via clear CMOS jumper in order to clear any conflicting settings.Make sure you copy any important BIOS settings down, so that you can replace them after you clear BIOS since old settings will be lost.
    As for the HHD, less likely the problem if your able to boot into windows occasionally with no problem.
    Did you change any hardware lately?
    Last edited by frank5; 02-22-2002 at 11:07 AM.

Hi, I have not changed any hardware. Most of the time I get a screen that says "system configuration data update, hit esc to continue or f2 to setup". It usualy hangs right there. Sometimes it will let me hit esc and everything works fine, net, os, games.It runs 2 times out of 10. Oh the on off swith doesn't work when it hangs. I have cleared the cmos. What now. Thanx Ed

It's beginning to soun more like a power problem. What type of power supply dp ypu have? Which OS are you using?
    May want to try disabling any refererences to to acpi or advanced power management in BIOS and in divce manager under system devices.
    Just for the heck of it, what happens when you try to boot up with the CMOS battery out?

It's beginning to sound more like a power problem. What type of power supply dp ypu have? Which OS are you using?
    May want to try disabling any refererences to to acpi or advanced power management in BIOS and in divce manager under system devices.
    Just for the heck of it, what happens when you try to boot up with the CMOS battery out?

Your OS is XP

yes,XP is my OS It did have a power supply fan go that I replaced. Power supply is generic PB 250. When (if) it boots I can use it as long as I want. I don't like to leave it on. I will try to get into the bios again. It doesn't let me in when I hit f2. Once in a great while. Thanx for all your help Ed
    Last edited by etrix; 02-22-2002 at 07:39 PM.

Sounds like that psu has seen its day.Do you have another known good psu to test the system with?

Yeh I,ve got a ps to test it with. I won't be working on it again Monday. Have a great weekend. Thanx for all your help, I'll let you know how it works out. Ed