Thread: geforce compatibility agp4 in agp2 slot

geforce compatibility agp4 in agp2 slot

looking for info need to upgrade my video card as my app has passed compatiblity with my voodoo 5500 card (now directx 8.0 program)
    I am not ready to buy a new system as my overclocked amd k6-3+ system suits my needs. but I would like to get a geforce3 or radeon card for the future but cannot find the backwards compatibility status with my lowly agp2 slot on my dfi k6bv3+/66 motherboard?
    any references or specific card recommendations? the geforce2 ti would also fill my needs if compatible.
    Thanks

A GF3 is drastic overkill on a K6 machine. Even an overclocked 3+. As far as the CPU being able to keep the GPU busy, a GF2MX400 is about optimal. But if you must have DX8 support, you gotta go with GF3. The Ti200 is the most sensable solution. Don't waste money on a Ti500. You may want to wait a few weeks. When the GF4 cards hit the shelves, the prices of the GF2 and 3 series will plummet.

The GF2Ti does not fully support DX8. The GF2Ti is just a GF2GTS with a die shrink.

If you're going with a GF2, anything beyond an MX400 is a waste of money with your current CPU.

Thanks to GF4, expect the prices of GF3Ti500 to drop about $100 within a month.

thanks for the reply, the issue of compatibility, while not directly addressed is implied as a yes?? i had thought that the gf2 was enough for the current system just thinking ahead to a neww system in the spring but your notice about the gf4 answers that question too! the gf3 will be "adequate but old" by spring!