Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: k7s5a ECS Motherboard

I've got two ecs boards and one pc-chips that came in a kit. I've had a few ecs problems mostly of my making and got them worked out. I've had no problems for months now and both of the ecs boards are overclocked. The pcchips board never gave a problem from the getgo so I've really got no complaints with either. I agree with Peter most of the users out there will buy a computer and never take off the cover. You can argue quality all you want but the reason ecs is cheap is because of mass production and you don't do that with crappy products long before you go out of business. Just the shipping costs on warrenty would eat you alive. Other than that you get what you pay for and if you want to drive a Mercedes you're not gonna find it on a Volkswagen lot at a Volkswagen price.
    gch306

morphius kain. please, refrain from making a statement unless you know all he facts. dare insult me again by saing i went to gateway, and there will be repercusions. i chose all the hardware, from the processor to the brand of RAM, the hard drive, everything. i have been building computers for over 5 years, so i know (usually) what is worth getting.

ecs and pcchips, on the other hand, are not as identical as peter missel might have you beleive. when a national distributor changes from one to the other due to the volume of problems, surely there must be more to the issue than first appears. perhaps it was just a bad production run, perhaps not. we won't know for certain. but personally, i can see myself only using SiS chipsets from now on. does pcchips make a board with one? i'll be happy to test it out.

Ultimate Member
    You can try PC-Chips M830L (aka ECS K7S5A) or M841L (aka K7SOM) or M810L (aka K7SEM) or ...

Accept it. It's the same company. It's the same bunch of manufacturing plants. It's the same bunch of engineers. It's the same range of products. All there is are two outlets, PC-Chips for anonymized OEM gear and the "Elitegroup" brand for retail boxed stuff.

peter, re-read my previous reply and think about it. you don't have to antagonize me if you really try

Ultimate Member
    As long as you keep insisting that ...

>ecs and pcchips, on the other hand, are not as identical as peter missel might have you beleive

... I will.

GUESS WHO IS RIGHT ?

Find out here: http://www.corel.com/news/1999/march...hips_group.htm
    Improvise - Adapt - Overcome
    SafeSearch is off

Ultimate Member
    Nice compilation there, pretty accurate except that they forgot to count Matsonic and Supermicro in.

This thread is getting a bit "long in the tooth".
    MS MCP, MCSE

I'll say. Wonder why you'd put Missouri City in Texas instead of Missouri? A little off the beaten track. Guess I should have started a new thread.
    gch306

I could claim Houston, but everyone in every suburb of Houston uses it as their "home". I like to be different.
    MS MCP, MCSE

corrupted

You really should try a NF2 board from whoever, any NF2 board will do, i really think they will knock the spots off sis, via and ali (don't know about amd chipsets) i would be willing to bet that you would be impressed. I am, no more via chipsets from now on.

I had a couple of PCChips boards, ok I suppose, but you get what you pay for in the long run.
    Life is a bowl of cherries

I used this board in a system for my sister, had a few problems with it......

I've never had boot up problems with this board, but I have had the onboard sound problems spoken of earlier in this thread, however my problem was that sound would work in some programs but not in others (sorted out by my sister getting a new SB 4.1 card for watching her DVD's on)
    Also, I had the power LED problem, but thats easily solved, just split the case connector with a sharp pair of scissors and whack the green wire on the plus and the white on minus.

Now, the most annoying and recent problem i've had is the one I can't seem to rectify - 'MPU-401 compatible MIDI device' in sound, video and game controllers - error status is 'this device cannot start'. Now, I thought it was something to do with the new sound card too, but after trying two different, definatley working ones, this cannot be true. Also, I checked a few days ago in device manager, and the location of this device is 'PCI to ISA bridge'.............. cant seem to find a new driver for that as the driver CD doesnt work with XP. Any ideas.

btw the mobo is revision 3.1
    Last edited by Strat; 01-09-2003 at 07:53 PM.
    ''I like violence and boobs, therefore am mature''

Here are the AGP drivers:

http://www.ecs.uk.com/download/drive...htm#sisagp_110

Here are sound drivers:

http://www.ecs.uk.com/download/drive...tm#cmi9738_028

If you have a bad driver, update it, but don't let Windows search for the driver. Select from a list. If you have a choice, choose the second one. Either way, walk though it.

Also try Windows Update.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Ultimate Member
    Strat, depends on where that MIDI device comes from. Yes it looks like it's on the ISA bus to software, but it actually is either the chipset integrated MIDI interface (which you disable, enable, or move to different resources in BIOS) or the one on the PCI sound card.

I installed both of them drivers Bill, it's not on the sound card because when the sound card isn't installed - it's still there.

Also, the onboard sound is disabled, along with the onboard modem as she's on a LAN at Uni.
    ''I like violence and boobs, therefore am mature''