Thread: DVD Freeeeeze

DVD Freeeeeze

It is the strangest thing! I can play some DVD's and they will play through without a problem, and then the next one will freeze some where along it's journey. This really pisses me off , it is always at the good part. I have a HI-VAL DVD. Dont know what brand it really is? I have set the sync data transfer in properties. I dont have any more Idea's, Oh,and.........I turned off the screen saver, i actually thought this helped at one point!

Thanks,

jkac123

Need some system specs.

What do you have running in the background? How much ram? CPU make/model, speed? etc.

I have a 900mhz, 384 RAM, 64 MB video Card. I did not think power or mem would be an issue. It is a HI-VAL DVD player, dont know if maybe this could be the problem. I wish I knew what it really was. Is there any way to determine that? The only thing really running would be Norton anti virus. Although i never thought that may be enough to disturb it? Well that would be some answers to yooour question. Hope I could help with this addditional info. thanks for reply!

jkac123

I should say that it is a home built unit. It is a 900 T-BIRD CPU. Everythiing else works great and it has for six months, with an exception to the DVD.

Just noticed that you said you had the Sync Data Transfer in properties enabled.
    The Sync Data Transfer is used for SCSI Hard Drives and IDE Drives set as a Raid Array.
    For cdroms, burners, DVDroms you don't need this enabled. Is the DMA option for the DVD drive checked?
    Also, boot into safe mode. Go to Device Manager and remove all the cdroms, DVDroms from the cdrom list. Then reboot. Windows will refind the CD and DVD roms. Now enable DMA.
    Do you also have the latest Via 4in1 drivers installed. There is an option to enable DMA when you install the drivers. When you do this the DMA option won't show up in the Device Manager properties.

You should also turn off powersaving while watching DVD`s.

D'Sypher has a point, I keep forgetting about powersaver. I don't use it or a screensaver.

How often do you experience this?

I know for a fact that there are really dvd discs that have glitches and lets your dvd player hang.

It seems at least half the time I watch. I have watched only a couple without freeze up! That makes me beleave it is more then the disk. What would be the power saver? i am already turning off screensaver.

thanks

jkac123

Go to Control Panel, Power Management.
    Change the Power Scheme to Always On.
    System Standby to Never or pick an Hour (your choice).
    Turn Off Monitor to Never (you can turn the monitor off w/ the power button).
    Turn Off Hard disks - set to whatever time you want. I keep mine at 5 hrs.

Another option to try is in your System Bios.
    Go to Power Management Setup.
    IRQ Wakeup Events. Change to User Defined. Have IRQ Wakeup Events set to Enabled.
    Windows will control the rest of the Power Management.

If you have any more questions, just ask.

Imperion1,

You know this HD setting would make alot of since if it is shutting down after an hour like it was set for! That is about the same exact time it seems like I get the freeze. I did all you said and thanks for help. all i need to do now is find the time to watch a movie

I wont know till then, so bare with me a while to find oout the results!

Thanks

jkac123