Thread: Can't access my network after I upgraded to WinXP

Can't access my network after I upgraded to WinXP

I can't access my home network of three computers on a HUB all having WinMe and mine had WinMe but I upgraded to XP. I still retain my cable modem connection, I just can't access the other two computers from mine. Thanks.

You might find some answers by reading this article on the M$ site.

Good Luck, Mark

Windows XP Home and Small Office Networking

I'm having a similiar problem, maybe

I have a simple home network, 3 computers networked using a switch. One using Win98SE, one using WinME, and one using WinXP Home Edition.
    Win98SE and WinME formatted in FAT32. The WinXP machine formatted in NTFS.
    ALL three show up in Network Neighborhood, but on my WinXP rig when I try to open up MY DOCUMENTS from either the Win98 or ME machines nothing happens. However, on my Win 98 and ME rigs I can open up and access MY DOCUMENTS from the XP machine.
    My Question: Is this something to do with the file system?(somebody told me that was the problem)
    Are NTFS and FAT32 incompatible like that?

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Do you have a common user account that you log on to all three machines?

Yes, I had TweakUI in WinMe automatically sign me on the network as well as the other two. We each had a username and it signed us on at start up. I set my TweakUI to do this now that installed XP but no avail. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hmm..mine worked after the upgrade..but you may want to run the network wizard. There is not a netbeui protocol on XP. The wizard runs the the XP machine first..then gives you the option of creating a floppy to run it on the other machines. The only problem I had was connecting to the XP machine from the other computers. I set permissions here..but on another network I just ran the wizard..and it worked fine.