Hi

I bought some components this week to assmeble a new computer, I bought

1.4 GHz P4
    Intel DG850 Mobo
    2 256MB RIMM
    Winfast GeForce 2 MX 400 64MB Video Card
    Seagate 40GB HD

And a case of course!

Well so I started to build the PC, I faced several problems which some are caused by the case

1. If I screw too hard the motherboard cannot detect video card, if I put one more screw samething happens
    2. If I put the case vertical (normal position) the video card cannot be detected, only if the case is laid horizontally
    3. This one is dodgy, when I boot the PC it keeps on saying Drive Not Ready System Halted

Which drive is it referring to? I took out the HD left the floppy and it complains about the samething (I thought it was complaining about HD) I took floppy IDE cable out and put in again (just in case it was loose) but problem persists

I checked BIOS, it detects the floppy and HD with no problems at all

What should I do?

Also is my case broken? Because of the first two problems?

cheers

It sounds like you may be shorting the mobo out on the case(assuming that part of the case is metal).

Check to make sure you have enough clearance. If not, there are screws called riser screws that will elevate the mobo away from the metal case.

I agree it sounds like you might be missing a standoff. See if you can add any more to the board. Maybe around where your video card goes. Also, have you tried running your h/d on the 2nd channel to see if you get the same error?

Hi

I fixed these problems now but I ran into another problem

I have Bootable Windows 2000 PRO CDROM and SCSI CD-ROM but in this new machine it´s not able to detect it and keeps on trying to boot from hard disk anyone know why? I have already modified the BIOS so the bootable sequence is floppy, cdrom then hd but no luck

In my old machine it detects the CDROM with no problems at all!
    The only difference between two machine is one is P4 1400 and the old one is P2 300, old one uses DIMM and new one uses RIMM
    And in old machine install I had a clean HD and in the new install I have a HD with Windows 2000 PRO (NTFS)

Finally, I tried to boot from floppy and install Windows 2000 from CDROM afterwards but I manage to boot, when I try to run setup from CDROM it says this program cannot run under DOS, anyone know how can I install Windows 2000 from DOS??

Cheers
    Last edited by sweetie; 11-10-2001 at 02:33 PM.

i am installing from 4 boot disk now so i can use the cdrom and install win 2k, anyway thanx all

although wy my scsi cdrom is not detected as boot cd is a mistery!

Not sure how to install Win2k from DOS but if its a SCSI cd-rom make sure the boot sequence reads A, SCSI, C.
    This will all be over before you can say Cat in a Hat.

Hi

In BIOS it says

removable device
    CDROM
    HD

that is my boot order but doesnt work

I am installing with the boot disk for Windows 2000 so I can install from DOS

Praetorian has it right.
    If you're using a SCSI cdrom to boot from, you have to have the bios set to boot from SCSI.

there isnt any SCSI in BIOS! It just says CDROM but that doesnt mean my SCSI is not working though because I can read from SCSI cdrom with no problems at all