Thread: BackIce Defender for XP??

BackIce Defender for XP??

Should I buy any anti-intrusion software to protect my Windows XP PC that is connected to the net via a cable modem? Is the Internet Connection Firewall that comes with XP eough to protect my computer???

I have Zone Alarm it is free and XP compatible. XP built-in firewall is useless get it here

Yiou can check your firewall onine at GBC: http://grc.com/
    Last edited by muchmark; 11-07-2001 at 02:08 PM.

Hi,

You can also try sygate's free firewall at

www.sygate.com

todddster

Well the actual question should be.. Do you want a Network intrusion Detection Systems (NIDS) or a sofware firewall that does both incoming and outgoing data?? Black-Ice Defender is a NIDS not a firewall actually ,you can learn more about it here.

And as far as a software firewall goes I would reccomend ZoneAlarm from www.zonelabs.com as the one in XP is not all that great IMHO.

And as far as www.GRC.com goes you can find alot of info going against setve gibson at www.grcsucks.com . It appears that alot of people out there who are 'in teh know' do NOT agree with him. So read up everything you can find and make your own decisions.. I have learned alot about security from the links provided on www.grcsucks.com
    Last edited by AzKidd69; 11-11-2001 at 06:37 AM.