Thread: Upgradeing an OLD computer...

Upgrading an OLD computer...

ok, I'm new to the forum, so I apologize if this has been covered before... I'm also new computer upgrading so I'm having trouble finding the resources I need.

I'm looking to replace the processor on a very old (1995 if you can imagine) Compaq. Replacing the Motherboard is really out of the question, due to design, and well, lack of value for the computer. This bad boy has an Intel Pentium which may be 133 or 233Mhz. What are my upgrade options?

The socket is labeled Socket 7, and I'd gladly put an AMD K6-II or K6-III processor. I think a 400Mhz or 500Mhz processor would be an excellent upgrade. But the chipset is Intel, so I suppose there would be compatibility issues. I've also seen IBM processors for Socket 7, any suggestions on those?

Thank you for you help.
    Last edited by aanyone; 11-06-2001 at 10:33 AM.

Not knowing exactly what MB you have, let me offer one warning: the fact that some MBs can take the AMD 500 or 550 doesn't mean that yours can. Something of that vintage might very realistically be maxed out at 233 or 266, simply because that was the leading edge back then and "they" might not have had any engineering knowledge of what was coming beyond the immediate future.

I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to purchase a used faster MB/chip from one of the newsgroups; there are surely people who upgraded and have the guys sitting around in a box. Something like a FIC 503+ or, better, a Soyo 5EHM with the K62 processor would sell used for substantially under a hundred bucks. I use the latter board with a 500 or 550 (can't remember) K62 for my secondary machine, and it's still fine for everyday use.

Art

I went thru this with a friend's Compaq - you'd need to make sure the board will fit (their cases can be a little funky) and the power supply is sufficient, etc.

a couple of things to consider:

1. know your mobo - you can get the specs from the Compaq site so you can find what the multiplier and fsb settings are - these may also be stamped on the mobo - and it will usually tell you what cpu "upgrades" the board will accept

2. if you know what the multiplier and fsb settings are, multiply them to get your highest figure - that's the cpu speed you can typically work with if you just want to throw another one in.

3. powerleap and kingston both make processor upgrades to 400 - 450 mhz- you simply buy them, pull the old cpu and replace with the new, hook up the fan and go - make sure, however, your Compaq system is compatible with the upgrade and if not, you should return the upgrade for a full refund.

I never had any success with the Compaq I worked with the powerleap chip (wasn't compatible) but maybe kingston or evergreen offer options.

Don't be discouraged however, you might be able to put one of the upgrades in the system, maybe add some ram to 128 megs _ go with a name brand, the generic memory may not work in the Compaq), and even add video ram (the board may have slots for another 1 or 2 meg - cost is usually about $10) and still have a pretty decent system if you don't have the money to go further.

You may want to concider "Turbo" kits that allow you to upgrade to a faster CPU. These kits (most of them) use the 66MHz that your motherboard support and a multiplier of 1. They have an additional multiplier and power adapter for the processor that they install.

I live in Japan and these things are in the local stores.

Hope this helps

Thanks guys, I appriciate the help!

Ultimate Member
    Before you sink too much into this thing, be forewarned that of the big 4, compuQe has the MOST proprietary hardware, neutered bios, and some really wacky bloatware hidden on your hd.

You may not be able to deviate at all from the original configuration. See, they don't want you to upgrade/hotrod/tweak the thing, because if you NEED a faster/better rig, they want to sell you a new one, also cuts down on their returns tech support and warranty costs, because of the (minimal but not negligible) risks to hardware and software inherent in overclocking.

PSU, case, mobo, OS, often modem and other peripherals generally are either not replaceable except with their 3x more expensive proprietary ware, nor reusable in building another system. Even if you can id the mobo and other stuff, in most cases the drivers, bios' etc are not usable due to mandated differences.

Might want to sell this thing for whatever you can get, then purchase a new mobo and chip, case etc..

The ECS and a duron can be had for $100, case/psu and hd for another hun. Add a burner, floppy, and modem, and for maybe $350 your in business with a new rig that you then CAN tweak. Wont be stuck sinking money into old technology that definitely is not fast, reliable, or easily/economically repairable. Alternately, get a Nforce, with killer onboard sound and video, have the hottest avaailable, and later, when ya wanna upgrade, add the latest in peripherals.

Ooops, forggot to video card-plan on at least another hundred, unless you have something laying around you can use till ya can afford a much better one.

I've done some work on a few of those older compaqs. Yes, they can be funky.... and very proprietary. What model name and number is it? Check very carefully on the inside of the case covers or tower chassis, I've never seen a Compaq that didn't have a label on it inside with the basic jumper/dip switch settings and basic specs. You can see what the maximum cpu the board will take by the jumper setting options. The last 133 that I worked on only took up to a 166 or 180. Sometimes the available clock speeds are printed really small on the motherboard too, usually near the little dip switches. All of the older compaqs I've always been able to overclock one notch without any trouble.... without changing to a faster cpu. But if your 133 will take a 200 or 233 change it, they can be found very cheap these days.

if its a 1995 Compaq then you won't have many options to upgrade, as the faster 166 and 200mhz use dual voltage and i don't think you board supports that. My best advice if you want to spped up your system is to add as much RAM(72pins DIMMS at the time) as you can.

Unfortunately, you have a machine in which the whole is worth less than the sum of the parts. RAM is a too expensive of a proposition for that machine. EDO ram is obsolete and usually very expensive when you can find it through dealers.

If you are on a budget, I've seen e-Machines for $349 COMPLETE w/printer and 17" monitors, Windows XP, etc.