Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: All SysOpt members please post in here

All SysOpt members please post in here

Wow!

I've been reading a lot of posts here where the members have said "remove me" or "cancel my membership" or something similar, but each of those people seems to still retain their membership status and profile.

Does the administrator or the moderator even notice this stuff? Why are these people still listed as members?

How many real members do we have? The home page says over 22,000, but I never even see a hundred logged in.

Bob

I'm still here.!
    Not much though.!
    eagle1 signing off.....

There's no real reason to cancel someones membership. If they don't want ot post they just don't post.

Much of the membership comes from people that signed up and asked one question, never to be heard from again.

Sure would be nice if we could get concerned members like yourself to answer a few questions in the tech forums

I'm here, but not too often.

ND is still in da house

Best Regards ...

Not the same thing at all....

There's no real reason to cancel someones membership. If they don't want to post they just don't post.
    Perhaps, but I've seen several here that requested it.

I'm not sure I understand why those requests are ignored.

I wouldn't cancel anyone's membership because they just didn't post. A request is different.

Bob please give detailed explanation as to why this is of importance to you.

I had a membership at a health spa a while back. I found a different spa that was closer to my home. Didn't matter to me if they cancelled my membership or not. I just didn't go back.

i'm here! and there too! and some other places too!

Special Member

Re: Not the same thing at all....

I guess I should step in at this point... While I obviously hope people will stick around, and that those who are not sure they want to will leave the door open for themselves to change their minds down the line, I will, of course, respect members' wishes and close the account of anyone who asks me to. But I simply don't have the time to scour through posts and look for those requests in various threads.

So if anyone feels a great need to have his/her account deleted, please contact me directly by email (housen@sharkyextreme.com), ICQ (36900566), or AIM (hmartok). Just please make sure this is what you want, as deleting an account is a lot easier than restoring it.

Take care,

Housen

Originally posted by Bobthetroll

Perhaps, but I've seen several here that requested it.

I'm not sure I understand why those requests are ignored.

I wouldn't cancel anyone's membership because they just didn't post. A request is different.

Im still here...though i dont post much

Im still here lurking in de shadows ..just dont post much any more...

no longer lurking...

After reading the post below about scott and the admins here...This is my last post...dont want any more to do with it.....peace
    Hellhound

I'm still around every now and then. I check posts with one or two replies, to give someone a hand that hasn't gotten one. Other than that, I come around and read up on people's emotions. I migrated to techimo, but I see no reason to never come back here. This is where I started, I'd like to hang around every now and then. I don't want this place to die, but don't look to me to save it.

Timbob
    Timbob, your hairless leader.

Housen:

I kind of like this site. I am good old s4 from HardwareCentral. You may or may not remember me. I will continue to visit this board unless one of those great big nasty ugly annimated banners is placed down the side of the screen like HWC has. I am completely turned off by those advertising banners that are so BIG there. I really don't have anything against you personally. I would hope that this site can continue to have some freedom of speech. If it does, I will keep coming back. If at some point HWC gets rid of those banners, I might consider helping the newbies with some of their questions again.

The reason I have not been posting here is because I am waiting to see if the board is going to become like HWC is otherwise I will post.

Special Member
    I can't make any assurances about advertising on any site. I have no control over what kinds of ad positions get placed on the site I run, Sharky Extreme, let alone all the other sites I'm just the forums guy on. All I can say is that if advertisers will pay for a position that has been designated as a sellable position by the company, there is a good chance a site wil have it.

Housen

I understand that. If the banner at HWC, for example, was not animated there would be a lesser annoyance factor involved. It detracts from my attention when reading posts. CNN.com is using a banner that is similiar in size and position on their site. Theirs is not jumping around or constantly changing. Having ads is one thing, but if they annoy people they are not accomplishing anything. Animated ads are annoying. I know the site is there for one purpose to make money, but if you really want to make money and get people to like the site you have to take into account the human factor.

The human factor is this. People like to exchange conversation. Let's say someone is talking about their cpu and they find that they meet someone from their hometown on the same board. Let's say they exhange a few pleasant comments about it. At HWC the first thing that is done is to lock the thread.

Letting little things go and dealing with major ones is a better stategy than locking every thread that has some off topic in it. Sure if a thread gets out of hand it needs to be dealt with or if someone cusses someone out they need to be banned. That's what the job of the moderators and admin is to keep order. I think it can be done without keeping all off topic discussions out.

I know you are going to say that you put up with a whole year of people trashing HWC. You are correct in saying that. However, if you take a closer look at what happened you might see what went wrong. The mods that were assigned did not do that good of a job. You needed people that were actually dedicated to making tough decisions and locking threads. The instant name calling began, the mod should have stepped in and told the person not to do it. If the person kept it up, they should have been banned permanently with no chance of getting back in. Any threads that got out of hand with name calling and cussing should have been moved to a hidden forum kept just for that purpose. When someone later denied the reasons why they were banned, you could have shown them exactly what their comments were that caused it. Another thing is that some of the mods edited or deleted posts without saying anything. If they would have made a brief comment about why this or that was done, the members would not have gotten as upset.

I know it takes a lot of effort to keep an off topic forum going, but if you have real moderators that actually moderate and they keep keep a good eye on their forum instead of goofing off, ot can bring in a lot of people and traffic.

I hope you do not think I am trying to cause problems for you. I'm not. I just want you to understand it from the perspective of a long time member even though I haven't been here long. I know that you have only so much control over what goes on with the sites like HWC.
    Last edited by Hickman; 10-26-2001 at 09:46 AM.