Thread: Trouble installing win98 se on hard drive

Trouble installing win98 se on hard drive

Hi, I hope someone can help me i have a hard drive that i partitioned and formated and was going to install win 98Se on it, but the hard drive is a network drive and I can't get win98 to install, any help would be appreciated.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    What do you mean it is a network drive?

Was it formatted using NTFS?

You will need to change the drive type in the BIOS and delete the non-DOS partition, then chage it back again and delete the primary partition.

network drive???

I have had this messge before. You just need to boot up using your win 98 disk and then use fdisk to re-partition the drive. Remember to format the drive and then install the OS.If you need more detailed advice e-mail me.
    Cheers

bairdy

It use to be in a computer that was running windows nt.

if that hard drive was formatted using the NT file system (NTFS) the windows boot disk cannot partition it. it can see that something exists there, but cannot modify it.

if you hook the hard drive to a computer that is running NT you can wipe it out and partition and format it the way you want.

there are utilities that can do this, my favorite being partition magic. it can handle every type of file format out there, as well as make changes on the fly without losing data. also with this utility you don't need to format the drive. once you make your changes, that's it. you can just install without wasting time waiting for a format to complete.

Or if you can't get Partition Magic / whatever... just use FDISK - standard DOS command... should be on the win9x CD / startup disk...

except the win98 boot disk is helpless with NTFS partitions.

why

Cant you just delete ALL partitions and the re-partition?

If not and you want partition magic e-mail me

bairdy

the last time i used the windows 98 boot disk on an NTFS partition it told me the drive was 100% used, but did not know the type of partion and could not delete it. i had to boot from the NT install disc and choose to delete it that way.

perhaps it was just me, but all the other times i tried it i had the same results.

there is an option in fdisk to delete non-dos partitions

i'll have to try it when i get home, as my last install of win2k a few weeks back wouldn't allow me to do it.

thanks for the info.