Thread: PC false start

PC false start

Hi all,
    I'm having serious PC probs that are causing too much hair loss...so wondering if anyone has a solution.

My PC is an old PII 233, Gigabyte LX motherboard, ASUS V3000 graphics card 64Mb RAM. Has been working fine for previous 4 years.

A few weeks ago I moved house and installed my PC as normal. For the first night it worked fine but when I went to switch it on the second day there was no response whatsoever. I tried a different cable, different power point etc etc..still no response. I checked that all the components were still plugged in properly and couldn't find anything wrong.

I decided the power supply must be dead and bought a new one. I installed the new power supply (just connected to motherboard - not peripherals). When I hit the power switch the machine turned on and began to boot up. About 4 seconds later it simply died. I can get it to replicate this action only after pulling out the power cable for a few seconds and replugging it (ie. you can't just push the power button again).

In the 4 seconds that it does switch on, the CPU fan works, no components get hot and if the power supply is plugged in to the hard disk it does it's initial click clack. The system does not get to the point where the BIOS beeps.

I tried plugging and unplugging various components including the CPU but the machine still boots for about 4 seconds and then dies.

Can anyone suggest what I should do next? I don't really have the cash to be buying new components and eliminating them one by one etc.

Anyway, apologies for the length of this message (wanted to get all the details in)...and thanks in advance.

Hi jinx,
    Welcome to SysOpt we are happy to have you here.
    The system does not get to the point where the BIOS beeps.
    IMHO Since you eliminated the PS you are left with either the motherboard or CPU.
    Mark

Last edited by muchmark; 10-16-2001 at 09:23 PM.

thanks for your reply mark. I'm fearing that the motherboard might be stuffed. I found that after booting the machine and within the 4 seconds it stays alive, if you keep pressing the reset switch the machine won't shut off. This seems to indicate that it is shutting down when it hits a point in the boot up process (maybe the first bios read).

Anyway, I might try replacing the CMOS battery but I don't think it will help.

cheers
    jinx

reset cmos and reseat the cpu,memory...

hope that helps

jokostel

thanks for your advice jokostel. Do you reset the CMOS by taking the battery out?

cheers
    jinx