Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: computer wont turn back on!?

computer wont turn back on!?

someone please help!

i bought a new computer yesterday, assembled myself... i dun know wat specs are important for anyone to help me, but its an amd 1.4ghz with a tornado cpu fan, an ECS k7s5a m/b, 256mb ddr ram and a 300w power supply... and also a geforce2 mx400

now after assembling the system, everything worked fine.. i installed win98 etc all the drivers, but less than 12 hours later, it just cut out on me... and now it wont turn back on

when i try to turn the system back on, both the power supply fan and the cpu cooling fan rotate once, but the actual system does not boot or turn on

everything on the sytem looks fine, it didn't seem as tho anything had fried or burnt out, and i couldn't smell anything to suggest that anything like that

i've checked all the wires to see if any are loose.. i've even reassembled the whole system!! but still, nothing...

can anybody tell me what the problem may be??

Welcome to SysOpt

I'd start by unplugging EVERYTHING except the video card and see if it boots up. If it does, plug one thing at a time in till you find the guilty culprit.

thanks steve!

i tried what you just said, taking out everything (except the cpu and video card) but still the same.... the power supply unit fan rotates once, but nothing else!

i don't know whether u wanted me to take out the cpu as well?

if not, i'm guessing the problem is may lie with the actual power supply?

it's just that it cut out on me in the middle of playing a game... everything was running well, it was out of nowhere?

Sounds like the power supply unit needs to be replaced. Make sure its secured to the board first. But when you turn it on it should stay on. If not, it's probably defective.

thanks rampage.. i'll bring it back to the store tomorrow

theres gotta at least be a 24 hour warranty on the thing!

This may be a long shot, but..

Try unplugging the PSU from the wall and then also unplugging the connector from the mainboard for about 10 seconds and then plugging back in. I know this sounds crazy, but that's worked for me on several systems with the same problems. To this day, I still don't understand how this method made the system fire up!

hrmm.. no that didn't work, still no resolution

i've taken it back to the store i purchased the parts from and so far i know its not the psu because they tried replacing that..

looks as tho its either the cpu or m/b

if its the cpu would this be covered under warranty?
    especially if the store i purchased the parts from assembled the cpu side of the system, including heatsink and fan? they also chose the cpu fan and sytem fan for me, so i assumed sufficent cooling would be supplied..

Depending on how reliable this store is. Motherboard probably no problem. But CPU may be another story. Hope you didn't damage it from heat.

Anyway, I'd really press them for some answers.

Could be a cheap power supply and the 1.4 T-bird killed it. Those babies draw alot of power. Could also be a power surge from your wall outlet, were you using a surge protector, were you playing during a thunder storm?

Hey guys

I also have the ECS K7S5A with a t-bird 1.2 ghz and 128mb ddr ram. Its running at a bus speed of 133/ddr. I built the system a few days ago with the motherboard, cpu, and case brand new. It worked perfect for the first 12 hours, then when I was downloading a program it froze in the middle of it. I tried to reset but it wouldn't boot up again. Now, it wont do anything, when I turn it on the power supply runs as well as the processor fan and the two hard drives and two cd-roms but it does nothing. No picture comes on the monitor and it doesnt sound like its booting up but I cant see it. There are also no beeps given by the pc speaker.

I also forgot to say that I thought it was the video card at first since it was old but I swapped it with another working card and it didnt help. I also tried disconnecting all IDE's and clearing the CMOS but still nothing.
    Last edited by Fonzie1984; 10-15-2001 at 08:03 PM.

Has anybody checked for a motherboard grounded to the case thru the mounting screws? Pull the board out of the case ,lay it on a piece of cardboard , hook it up, fire it up .See what happens,if it works,the board was grounded,id not probably power supply.

Hey Fonzie1984,

I don't have the link but I remember reading some article about the early K7S5As having problems clocking to 133fsb. Try lowering the setting to 100fsb and see if it boots. If it runs stable flash the board with the latest bios and try 133 again.

Alright guys

Tnanks a lot for the input; I'm going to try both of those possible solutions now, thanks.

I'll reply later about how it went.

Re ja3on's problem. P/S and CPU rans rotate once and turn off.

It might be a bad power supply but on every occassion I have run into this problem (not many, thank God) the problem was a short in the system or a bad motherboard. Found a loose screw once between the back of the motherboard and the case that didn't actually short until two weeks after the customer had installed a second hard drive and lost the screw. The nice part was the P/S turning off so quickly saved everything. Removed the screw and the system ran fine.

The power supply's built in protection circuitry detects excessive power draw at power on and immediately turns itself off.

After trying many things I still cant get this board to work properly. I got it to run using pc100 sdram from my other computer but then I had to clock the processor down to 900mhz. Once I got it running I flashed the bios with ECS's latest flash and then tried to boot it up with the ddr ram again but it wont do anything. The power supply goes on, the processor fan spins, and all the IDE's (hard drives and cdroms) start running but it doesnt do anything other than that. Any ideas on what I should do with this board now? If someone can think of a possible solution I would appreciate it, thanks.