Thread: Backup onto CDRs, can it be done well?

Backup onto CDRs, can it be done well?

Ok, my dad want's to back up his computer. His machine is networked to mine (10mbps connection, ethernet). I was going to zip his HDD, but there's no way to set a size limit. I'm not keen on using MS Backup, since all the other bundled system utilities suck (cept for char. map and cleanup). Both machines run win98, and I belive bothe are SE (does it matter?). Sooo, what should I use to back up the pc. Should I use it with DCD or ECD4? My dad won't buy a new backup program. It's only 4 GB he needs to back up. Help a guy out here now...

if you have to, use easy cd creator 4 and just burn it as data.

you may run into some issues, as some files (registry, drivers) are in use and you can't just select a bunch of directories and burn then to a cd. this method is a pain in the **** though and will take about 8-10 cdrs.

i would just back up documents, internet favorites, email address book, and specific files you want to keep. in the event you have a failure and have to reinstall, you will get a fresh OS in there without the accumulation of junk files and a clean registry. all that you have to do is reinstall the applications and all of the important data is already backed up on 1 cd.