Thread: System Crashes

System Crashes

Please help me,
    I recently bought a m55hi-plus motherboard and installed a 233Mhz processor w/mmx. When I install Windows 95, everything goes fine, but when I try to install internet explorer, the installation stops. I also tried to clean install windows 98 and now receive fatal exception errors. Any help in appreciated.
    Last edited by circuitman68; 10-10-2001 at 11:08 PM.

Well, we are gonna need some more system info. What brand of motherboard is that? Which version of 95 and 98 are you using? What are your system specs (everything!) What version of ie are you trying to install? Have you tried fdisk/format to your hard drive? Anything else going on? We'll help, but we're gonna need a bit more info...

Best of luck,

Timbob
    Timbob, your hairless leader.

Thank you for your quick reply Timbob, Sorry for the lack of info. The motherboard I am using is a Micronics m55hi-plus, The Windows 95 software is an upgrade 4.0 version, and the Internet Explorer is the 3.0 add-on that came with the windows 95 software. Also the Windows 98 is the 4.1 version upgrade. I also tried another full version of Windows 98. It is also a 4.1 version, and a Windows Me upgrade. The motherboard required a voltage regulator for the Intel Pentium 233Mhz processor because of the mmx tech. I have 32MB ram and a trident video card. I have received numerous fatal exception 0E at 0028:C1430A08 or 015F:BFF9DBA7, a SUWIN caused GPF, The main problem seems to be when I try to install an Internet Explorer of any version. As for the Windows 95 IE, as I start to install, I receive an error reading: “Extracting file failed. It is most likely caused by low memory (low disk space for swapping file) or a corrupterd cabinet file.” With all the other OS, I can’t finish installation at all. I hope this info can help you to help solve my problem.
    C’man

***** Contents of Post Edited Out ***** srj

Sorry about not posting back, I haven't been around here in a while. This is a toughie, but I'd narrow it down to one of two things. You know that data on a cd is least likely to become corrupted and cause problems. We can assume at least windows will install (not always run though!!! hehehehe) Somehow, the program is not doing what it should be doing. Therefore, I would say either the data is doing some funny stuff along the ide bus, or in the cpu. I am not familiar with Micronics and I haven't ever messed with a voltage regulator so I don't know what affect that would have, but that is where I would point my finger at. If somethin' ain't right in the processor, you don't have much hope of having stuff work for you. I would suggest you look around for a non-mmx cpu to try in that board or try a board that supports mmx cpu's without a voltage regulator. You also may want to check out your memory - it could be bad. I'll email you a memory tester that you can download - follow the instructions and you'll make a boot disk that you can test your memory with. It takes awhile - I'd stop it after 3 or 4 hours if you haven't found any errors yet. Good luck, I'll try and keep an eye out to see if things get better for you!

Timbob
    Timbob, your hairless leader.