Thread: >>> HELP THEY GOT ME!

>>> HELP THEY GOT ME!

netflip.com got me, they forced (some how tricked me) their code into my Internet Exporter and now whenever IE reaches a page that is not there instead of a DNS/(IE404-page not found) error it takes me to their advertisements site! ( http://www.netflip.com/nf/FastCash/L...1531&origin=af )

HELP ME PLEASE!
    (I checked Add/Remove programs, searched all drives, Registry, nothing! how do I delete/edit this?)
    P.S. I got Win2k, IE 6.0

Thank you, please understand, it really bothers me, they have dirty pop ups and simply abuse people!

Right-click your task bar and select task manager and look at the applications page to see if it was loaded there.Also check the processes tab.You can end it there for the current session but to locate it in explorer in order to get rid of it, write down it's name exactly and run it through "Find Files".That should tell you what directory it's in.HTH
    lynch
    seldom right,but never in doubt...

Ultimate Member
    I've not heard of this before, but I'd run AdAware to try to remove it, then put netflip.com in your IE list of "Restricted Sites", where javascript and ActiveX are turned off.

Ad-Aware 5.62 - lavasoft.com

InGear,
    Not sure where you are looking, that brings you to 404 deadends often enuff, to be a pain. OK, reread the Q.

Suggest you clear the IE Temp file, dump the Cookies, all of them.
    Clean out the IE history etc. Dump your Windows Temp file while you're at it.

Then go again, avoid that site. Unless it's forced upon you by an ISP.In which case, try another ISP.

Others have suggested pop up stoppers. Agreed. Try www.panicware.com Their PopUpStpr can be a pain, but it works.

While you're downloading good stuff for "netting" take a look at Zonelabs. A Firewall is a 'must have' these days. ZA is one of the best. www.zonelabs.com

Have Fun. ChrsR. Hey! Found A Way Cool Smiley. They Got Me!
    Last edited by RustyGT; 10-08-2001 at 10:10 AM.

nope ;-( tried all, no luck
    how do I edit that IE defaule DNS Error page?

This is crazy! I have never seen this before. Someone actually subsitutes a MS DNS error page with advertisements? I want to see how this gets resolved.......

J
    Smile often! It makes people wonder what your up to.....

Go grab Internetweak at, http://www.internettweak.com/
    You can specify "Address for Failure Connection". It says mine is,
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\blank.htm

Go to www.grc.com and send a message to Steve Gibson....He would probably like to know abou this....also go to the page where you think you got this problem and post an e-mail to them. Some sites have a file that you can download to remove their BS. Lavasoft is also good and can probably help...

Phoenix.Net does the same thing (sends you to a different site though). Very annoying indeed.

-F4

It's somewhere in XSetup...I'll be lazy & not tell you where...

sP="HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs\"
    vB="blank"
    vNC="NavigationCanceled"
    vNF="NavigationFailure"
    vOI="OfflineInformation"

copied straight out of the plugin code so massive thanx to the xteq guys

oh & heres the defaults:

Blank Page: The URL if a blank page should be displayed (default: "res://mshtml.dll/blank.htm").

Navigation Canceled: The URL if naviagtion has been cancelled (default: "res://shdocvw.dll/navcancl.htm").

Navigation Failed: The URL if IE couldn't complete a naviagation request ("res://shdocvw.dll/navcancl.htm").

Offline Failed: The URL to be used if the requested URL couldn't be loaded in offline-mode ("res://shdocvw.dll/offcancl.htm").