Thread: To XP or Not to XP?

To XP or Not to XP?

Ok, question. I'm currently running Win2k on my two machines (Athlon 1.2) and I have a copy of Windows XP. Is it worth the hassle to install XP? Just wondering, as i was not even going to install it, but i went to best buy and played with XP for a while.

It doesn't seem to bad, and i like the log on screen. That way , no one can ask me what their log on name is, they can see it clearly on screen. I wish win2k had a option like that.

Anyway, 2 Xp or not 2 Xp..

Sh4DowH4x0r---Outta here!!!!!!!!!!!1

I just posted something similar to this.

http://sysopt.com/forum/showthread.p...threadid=86571
    This will all be over before you can say Cat in a Hat.

I think I may try the upgrade, That way if in goes into the trash it will only be a $99.00 loss instead of $199.00!

SPEEDO

No point buying the full version if you have a qualifying previous version. The upgrade or the full version of XP will either let you upgarde an existing installation (recommended by Microsoft) or to do a clean install (recommended by me). Only difference is that the full version does not look for any previous version and can be run by booting from the XP CD. The upgrade will only setup from within an existing windows installation.

I'd put the $100 for more RAM or towards a better video card or whatever. I have the upgrade version and it works great.

Also refer to current issues of PC Magazines and PC World for indepth pros and cons of moving up to XP.

Actually . what i wanna know is. Will my Nero work? Adaptec Ez cd creator? And can i uninstall it, back to Win2k?

With my build 2600 (final), both Nero 5.5.x.x and EZCD 5 worked fine, as well as NTI CD-Maker 2000 Pro. Couldn't uninstall WinXP coz did a clean install

Best Regards ...

OK... Last question. I run my small home network off netbeui. Is there such a thing as Netbeui in XP?

My company is on Microsoft's developer network, which gave me a chance to use it throughout it's development. I've been using XP pro since March with beta 2, and upgrading along the way to the final build, and find it's a very good OS. Prior to that I used win2k pro, for my home machines, and XP definitely has some nice improvements, such as the Automated System Recovery, which has saved me a couple of reloads. I wouldn't hesitate to say make the move to it. If you upgrade from win2k, though, you will not be able to uninstall, so you may want to run a dual boot, until you know whether or not it works for you. As for recording software, I have used several 5.x versions of Nero, and NTI-2000 with no issues.

There is no netbeui support built into XP, but here's a link to the MS support site on how to install it from the cd.
    http://support.microsoft.com/support...SRCH&SPR=WINXP

As I have stated elsewhere in another forums, EZ CD 4 and 5 do work win XP but for the DirectCD component to work you need to download the upgrades from roxio.com. However, with EZCD 5 Platinum loaded, on my PC atleast, I have to switch the power off manually. It used to shut off by itself. I think maybe some sort of conflict.
    Roxio support says their software is NOT compatible with XP and there may be problems. XP said the same thing about EasyCD. Roxio says they will have the XP compatible upgrade/patch on their site by the time the retail version of XP is released- 10/25. Otherwise most programs work in XP except some older versions of NAV and NU.

I'd suggest everyone to read the latest PC World and PC Magazine- both have a very comprehensive cover feature on this topic. If you don't want to buy the magazine, read their online copy free.

Cheers.

To Xp or Not to XP, its not a question. its a necesity (sp).

-: phenious :-

Originally posted by shahani
    No point buying the full version if you have a qualifying previous version. The upgrade or the full version of XP will either let you upgarde an existing installation (recommended by Microsoft) or to do a clean install (recommended by me). Only difference is that the full version does not look for any previous version and can be run by booting from the XP CD. The upgrade will only setup from within an existing windows installation.
    Actually, that's not entirely true. the upgrade is actually more useful, if you own a previous product, the upgrade does both, the full verison will NOT upgrade an existing install(OEM full anyway). but the full version does give you a nice bonus...if you read your license agreement carefully, you will find that all full versions of windows licenses are backwards compatible. meaning if you buy XP, you also own 2k, NT4, and maybe even 98, 95...etc... not sure if NT is exclusive from 9x on this issue. i'm also not sure if the upgrades contain this same info on backwards compatible licenses.

Where can i get xp, besides those at the store?

Backward compatible, yes. But then you have to uninstall XP if you want to load 9X. One licence One Install. Its that simple.

With both upgrade and complete versions of Windows (9X, ME, 2000, XP), you are given an option to do a clean new install keeping existing windows intact and having a dual boot menu OR upgrading the exuisting version.

So I fail to see the advantage of buying a full version unless you have NO windows.

Oh, yeah, Jeffy, your best bet to get XP is at a store for $99 upgrade version. Unless you buy a new PC with XP preloaded. No other way, ethically and legally.

I'd invest in the Upgrade version as this XP version will be around for a while.