Thread: Intel to kill floppy drives, serial ports next year

Intel to kill floppy drives, serial ports next year

Intel to kill floppy drives, serial ports next year

I read this in The Register

I am not sure we are ready to lose the floppy drive. Serial ports yes! I still use floppies.

What do you guys think?
    Smile often! It makes people wonder what your up to.....

I will need serial ports for a while. After switching over to external modems, I cannot and will not go back. I share my backup modem between two machines, and I am able to do this thanks to external comm ports. I do not use any usb devices. I have them, but I just prefer to not use them. My needs are taken care of by the AGP,PCI,IDE,SCSI,LPT, and serial ports. I really have no need for USB or 1394. Also I do not appreicate being forced to upgrade I know that it must happen, but I would prefer to choose instead of having the choice made for me. I guess I am hardheaded that way.

Banti

I still use serial ports for many things (modem, palm sync, heart reate monitor interface). Why switch to USB, it works fine the way it is and it would cost me money to switch. For the HRM interface I would actually have to get a USB device that added a serial port and last I looked these were ridiculously expensive.

I do use an external modem. Although, since getting DSL, it gets almost no use. I think I faxed from it a few months ago. Hehe.

J
    Smile often! It makes people wonder what your up to.....