Thread: How do I overclock

Metadrome

How do I overclock

I dont have the overclocking option in my bios, i think it might be an old version or something, i have a hewlett packard 6318 300mhz celeron and i really want to overclock it to 450 which i know is possible but i have no idea how

Metadrome

How do I overclock

I dont have the overclocking option in my bios, i think it might be an old version or something, i have a hewlett packard 6318 300mhz celeron and i really want to overclock it to 450 which i know is possible but i have no idea how

also do NOT post more than one thread on this forum

PROPER POSTING ON THIS FORUM. READ!

JaYsin

First you must decide if over clock is good..

Not knowing how familiar you are with pc hardware it's hard to decide where to start without risking offending your intelligence so I'll pretend/assume you're a novice oc'er.

Some things you'll need to do:

a) determine the exact make and model of your board (try HP's site, a search on Google, etc.

Another method: when you restart your comp look to the lower left of the first screen you see and hit "pause" on your keyboard before that screen goes by. Record the entire "BIOS string". Also take note of the BIOS manufacturer, It should be something like Award 4.51PG or AMI then go here: http://www.motherboards.org/ and follow the directions.

You can try here too: http://www.wimsbios.com/

If you can get the make and model go to the makers web site and download the manual (this may be available at HP's site too).

This may take a while... if you succeed keep come back here and ask more questions. Another thing you can do is search for "overclocking" at Google. Searching with Google is how I found out almost everything I needed to know about overclocking.

Good Luck

JE
    Last edited by JohnE.; 10-07-2001 at 02:36 AM.
    But, it goes to 11

Ultimate Member
    Before you start messing with it make sure it actually helps you. I'm running my 1.2@1.2 even though I tested it at 1.35 and it ran fine. There is no reason to risk it. And also if you don't get much gain from overclocking, put it back down. I'm just saying cause my last mobo and video card didn't take to well to mild overclocking.

As John mentioned, write out your exact system specs. What sucks with ready made pcs is that they cut corners on everything. Generic part galore.

I have a Biostar M7VKB MotherBoard and don't have a multiplier option in my BIOS. I'm kinda in a similar predicament.

Do you have the manual for that mobo Itchy_c?

Perhaps your board has physical jumpers on the board for changing voltage, FSB and multiplier settings?

Some boards have jumpers while others are jumperless (ie: controlled by BIOS options) for control of processor settings.
    But, it goes to 11

You can use the jumpers on the motherboard to change your cpu speed. :o

The manual sucks ***! It isn't written very well. I can't find the jumpersto change the multiplier if there are any. It does have the fsb settings in the bios and I've messed with that alittle, but not the multiplier settings.

Just checked out the manual... you're right Itchy_c, not well written (as far as overclocking is concerned anyways).

It looks like all voltage, FSB and multiplier settings are controlled through the CPU Host/PCI/Spread Spec. section in the BIOS and NOT by physical jumpers on the board.

I don't know what the options in that section are (since I don't have your board) but there may be an option for "Auto" or "Manual" configuration. You'd have to select Manual to change FSB, multiplier, etc.
    But, it goes to 11

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Anyway, I can change the FSB just fine. I just can't find the options to change the multiplier. I've looked it over many times in the bios, in the manual, and the manual on the CD that came with it.