Thread: format question

format question

Hello all.
    I've browsed the forum looking for this answer and I want to verify what I found. I have a partitioned drive, 15g on c and 5 on d. Can I format c without erasing d? I'd like to backup my important files on d. My goal is a clean install of win98 on a Compaq factory installed with win me. This is my Mom's pc and she has alot of mp3's she doesn't want to lose. I have a USB direct connect so I can copy over to another pc, but would like to do this an easier way. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks much.

Formatting c :Will NOT effect d:

true...format of C:\ will not affect D:\....But I tell everyone this: Always, always, always back up your data...because sooner or later, no one is immune, your HDD is gonna crash !!

I would always recommend partitioning a hard disk that is over 15GB to about 60% drive c & 40% drive d. I like alot of people reading this probably format & reinstall once a year or sooner, so just copy all data files to drive d, format c & then reinstall everything fresh & finally move needed data files back to drive c. I do backup all data files to CD-R, but it is slow and sometimes unreliable to restore from CD-R and on top of that, all files reload as read only.

RT

I would NEVER recommend partitioning a hard disk.
    1. If HD fails, both partitions are lost.
    2. Better is, if you can, buy 2nd HD and use it for Image of C: drive and copies of important folders, then any other info or files.

I use mobile racks for all HD's and Norton Ghost to perform image at least once a month after I have checked updates, registry, etc and cleaned out and optimised the HD's.
    "BENE DICTUM, BENEDICTE !"
    My PC and Network Specifications My Webpage

Thanks everyone

I have three computers so I back up all to all, with the usb connection. My Mom only has the one, and limited income. I usually take a pc up and copy her stuff over but I was feeling lazy. Guess it's time to research hard drive prices since Christmas is coming! I appreciate all the advice. A good night to all.

"I would NEVER recommend partitioning a hard disk.
    1. If HD fails, both partitions are lost."

pcbugfixer, How many drives have failed you? I know they do fail from time to time. I have had several seagate ST-225 & 251's fail in the 1980's & early 90's, but I guess I am lucky that no modern drive has given me any trouble, probably since I never have one more than a year or two, either way, all my data is backed up. I am more worried about my PC being stolen than my hard disk failing & if that happens both drives are lost anyways.

RT

Originally posted by RLT65
    "I would NEVER recommend partitioning a hard disk.
    1. If HD fails, both partitions are lost."

pcbugfixer, How many drives have failed you? I know they do fail from time to time. I have had several seagate ST-225 & 251's fail in the 1980's & early 90's, but I guess I am lucky that no modern drive has given me any trouble, probably since I never have one more than a year or two, either way, all my data is backed up. I am more worried about my PC being stolen than my hard disk failing & if that happens both drives are lost anyways.

RT
    Ok, Understand what you say, however without naming names re HD some brand names are rubbish and over time have proven to be not worth the money, so to speak.

Over time have learnt which manufacturers are good and which are bad.

Yet all may fail at one tome, some less frequently than others, yet failure can be other than actual HD related, ie. Actual problem has nothing to do with HD and is OS installation related. (= Method user used to do installation job)

As you say, if (and I agree) a HD fails, both or any other partitions also fail (are lost) Yup, if they are stolen what can you do (nothing)

Hate to tell you, but the brand you mentioned, are one of the ones I have high rate of failure with.

Re actual old backup (compressed version) don't do it any more.
    Either use Norton ghost Image and or actual drag - drop folder to other HD or partition, this way I don't need to un-compress old backup files before they can be used.

Last edited by pcbugfixer; 10-07-2001 at 04:32 AM.
    "BENE DICTUM, BENEDICTE !"
    My PC and Network Specifications My Webpage