Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: brit chick going 'round the bend!

ya i have spent many , many frustrating hours at fry's and everything that i have stood on long lines to buy i have had to return.
    They have so much great stuff ther, but no one that works there knows what it is , or if they do they certainly don't want to waste their valuable time talking to cretins like yours truly!

I may have to wait for answers from you guys, and they often raise more q's than they answer but at least you talk to me and you know what you are talking about!

To bad those guys only wanna sell.

Yeah there's more about computer hardware than you could imagine. The problem is, it's changing every day. So I am learning every day something new.

Didn't knew ADobe Premiere has problems with AMD. Installed it ones on my old AMD 700MHz. No problem there. I would email adobe to be sure what's about using AMD.

If you go for pentium anyway, go for a ddram board. But there lays a problem (**** again!!), have found only one:
    http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2...r/index.x?pg=1

If you go for RIMM(RDRAM) based boards, go for 512MB (I think you can't get them next year for possible upgrade)

Dudster, what do you mean?

Plus I recommend getting CAS2/CL2 memory instead of CAS3/CL3.

i know you posted this ages ago, i am having a refresher , going over everyoes comments and girding my loins to chuff up my plastic card

I think Kingmax, Mushkin make a Cas2 rated pc2100 ddr and I know Crucials pc2100 although rated at Cas2.5 will hit 2 with no problem.

dashiel, if your doing mostly DV work, adobe recommends only a P3 700. Why not consider a 1Ghz Duron? Cheap, fast, with mmx, enhanced 3dnow and SSE, pair it up with a ECS K7S5A,could save you a lot of money?

That only applies if you get SDRAM (not DDR or RDRAM/RIMMs). Here's an example http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...=A7V&x=13&y=11 - notice how CL2 (CAS2) is a little bit more expensive than CL3 (CAS3) but it is recommended. BTW, that link is to the US branch of Crucial so you could shop from there.

Basically, CL2 means that the CPU will have to wait for 2 clock cycles (about a nano second or something) before the requested data starts flowing from memory to the CPU. With CL3, the CPU would have to wait for 3 clock cycles. The difference is probably unnoticable but it still recommended (CL2 is a bit faster than CL3 and CL3 could possibly cause instability).

ECS P4ITA-2 with PentiumĀ® 4 423PIN 1500Mhz 1.5Ghz P4 CPU & Fan
    BZBP# P4ITA1500
    Intel Tehama 82850 & 82801BA Chipset Socket 423 Support Pentium 4 Processor Four 184-pin RIMMs, up to 2GB Support PC600, PC800 Support UltraDMA 66/100 AC97 Audio Codec on board 5 PCI slots, 1 CNR slot 1 4X AGP slot (AGP Pro optional) ATX Size (305 mm x 244 mm)

So i was all set to go with this, i checked the ram on crucial and foudn they don't have it , that it may be proprietory.

coco with technolgy i tend to be a bit of a peasant and buy at he very bottom so i though this tiem i woudl try adn stay slightly ahead of myself. Do you now think that the p4 will last me longer and workl faster iwth editing? I intend to have 2 hard drives and around 100 gigs so i though that a faster processor would be a good idea

That's a good point about the new Duron. Plus now that the new AthlonXP is out (1.5GHz+), I'm not sure if the Athlon 1.4 GHz would be the best option if you took the Athlon route. Maybe if you take the P4 route, a P4 motherboard that uses SDRAM (such as the ASUS P4B) or DDR instead of RDRAM would be a good idea. The ASUS P4B also has Socket 478 as opposed to Socket 423 though I don't know what the difference is

Well, I'm no longer sure at all of what would be the best one to get so hopefully someone else will come along who has a better idea. Or you could start another thread like "What's the best CPU for video editing" or something. I spose if you want to save money, get the 1GHz Duron (assuming Premiere will work with it) otherwise an Athlon (maybe the XP) or P4 (either with hot n pricey RDRAM *ouch!*, SDRAM or maybe even DDR)

Best of luck

Wow! you shut me up! Here I am thinking you were pinching pennies?

Yeah, the P4 would be great for editing! I know that tmpgenc 2.0 is already optimized to take advantage of SSE2 and Rdram has the best memory bandwidth scores. The technology may already be obsolete and rambus may go under, but if you buy the system now it will have good staying power in the editing field.

BTW, I am all for a new thread on video editing! It would be nice to see other peoples opinions.

well dudster I took our suggestion and have started a new thread.

thanks for all advice

Coco I am pinching pennies , trust me but i am trying not too be too cheap and only have to find i have useless equioment in 6 months. My office is full of stuff that was out of date when I bought it.

ECS P4ITA-2 with PentiumĀ® 4 423PIN 1500Mhz 1.5Ghz P4 CPU & Fan
    BZBP# P4ITA1500
    Intel Tehama 82850 & 82801BA Chipset Socket 423 Support Pentium 4 Processor Four 184-pin RIMMs, up to 2GB Support PC600, PC800 Support UltraDMA 66/100 AC97 Audio Codec on board 5 PCI slots, 1 CNR slot 1 4X AGP slot (AGP Pro optional) ATX Size (305 mm x 244 mm)
    Good choice. P4 are great for editing. They are rockstable and needs less cooling than AMD, so a worry less.
    But ooh those prices!!! And RRDRAM (RIMM/RAMBUS) is getting obsolete. DDRAM is winning the game!!
    But the last isn't a problem if you can get hold on 512MB (or 2x256Mb) (expensive )

re: computer research

What an adventure! Shopping for information and for computer parts! Heres the advice I gave to myself, which I occasionally followed:

Set your general life priorities;
    How much time do you have? Would you rather spend 160 hours(Not even a realistic estimate, just a number out of a hat) gathering information on building a computer, ordering the parts and assembling it and then fussing around with it endlessly to get it to work? One could spend less time working to earn the money to pay for some great prepackaged deals. Still there's great satifaction in learning to do things for yourself. It's just that it's usually not wise in terms of time or money.

We all want best system we can get for a certain amount of money. In the end we all compromise, needs and desires limited by what we can afford. Do you want the least expensive computer you can assemble that will just barely do the job, and will do it for a year or two before you outgrow it (when you will hopefully have more money). Do you want to be able to upgrade or expand? Do you want pay more for name brand components less likely to give you trouble when you install (or more realistically, generate problems, but fewer of them) or look for the great deal, which sometimes really is the best deal but which often generate frustrations and sometimes cost more in the long run? Remember your focus when you are trying to be satisfied with a 15 inch monitors and secretly lusting after that 17 inch Trinitron Monitor.

Learn patience.... well maybe that will only come after (and
    before) experiencing extreme frustration.
    Collect information and educate yourself (this is what I do best)
    Shop, order
    Assemble and install and reinstall and problem solve until you reach a working stability
    Play

Collecting information: There is a LOT to learn. This is what's cool about the web. Its all out there. More than you can ever use and everyones opinions to boot. PC Magazine and PC World and Computer Shopper offer lot of articles loaded with info, these are aalso often available at libraries. Toms Hardware Page and other sites abound with details about how things work. This forum is an incredible resource.

Print or copy everything. This will save you time going over research ground more than once. You will only remember a small portion of what you have read. One needs to have it available to reread in some form. Mark the pages with the source of the info and page numbers.

Organize. Perhaps begin a binder with dividers, sorted into various subjects, including pending questions, one section for each for various hardware components, software, and each of the peripherals. It will help to have different pieces of information on Operating Systems or Sound Cards in one location where you can juxtapose and compare and the information, and where the information sources complement each other.

Shop: Costs; set a budget. What do you think you can afford, even though you do not yet know what things may cost. This can be your reality check later when you have learned about the latest and greatest video/graphics card that costs three times more than the basic old reliable last months model.

Begin researching prices of individual components perhaps recording the info in a table format. Note the source and date as well as cost. Eventually you will begin to notice details. Why are the prices at this particular site so cheap? Maybe those motherboards are sold without the CPU. Etc...... You may notice that the prices for hard drives, for example, increase by a set amount per Gigabyte until you get to a certain size and then the price per Gig leaps more dramatically. The location of this price break is probably consistent from site to site and tells you where the new technology has not yet reached high enough production levels to bring down prices. There may be a lower price break, below which some sites sell outdated technology at rock bottom prices, that may actually be perfect for your needs and budget.

Gotta go now but some last thoughts: check on sales taxes, shipping costs, return policies, return shipping costs, restocking fees, warantee policies, company reputation and reliability, and online and phone technical assistance. the magazines above have info on these topics.

It'll be a lot of work and a lot of reward, good luck

awh, cum on guys...this person doesn't need support, she just wants to play...with us.

Thanks scyth your advice makes a lot of sence, especially the bit about patience.
    i hurtled into this thinking that I it would be quite straight forward and that there woudl be one right answer to all my questions.
    i have coaem to realise that I really have to do a lot of work in order to get it right

i am really trying to be patient but it's not easy, i'm an only child and i wnat what i want when i want it!

meanwhile my hp has decided that it can't find my operating system so i am really quite screwed at the moment.

thanks to everyone for all their advice.

except tuckline whose comment i really don't understand

Tuckline just wants to miss all that drags and skip to all thats fun...not such a bad goal.
    Last edited by scythe; 10-31-2001 at 11:15 AM.