Thread: Music cd-r for data?

Music cd-r for data?

I have some Memorex Music CD-R (The part where the laser scans is green) 700mb disks. I originally bought them to burn cds since my cd-players wont read cd-rw. Anyways i need to copy another cd (that is very large, 400-500ish mb) and that would take forever on a 4x max cd-rw, compared to the 16x max cd-rs. Would i be able to do it?

what are you asking?

your question is alittle incomplete

JaYsin

would i be able to copy a data cd onto a memorex music cd-r?

I've heard you can do this... but I haven't tried this personally. I never buy music CDRs anyway. Regular data CDRs burned with CD audio work just fine in nearly every audio CD player. There is absolutely NO need to buy music CDRs unless you have a special music CD recorder.

Music CDRs are just regular data CDRs with extra 'stuff' on it to allow special music cd recorders to write to them. The music industry also charges some kind of royalty for each disk sold... purportedly to compensate them for 'lost sales'. Personally, i think the RIAA can shove them up their a**.

Don't ever buy Music CDRs. Data CDRs work just fine for burning audio CDs. The RIAA has enough of our money already.

A friend of mine once brought me a music cd to burn audio in... Well.. I burned the audio on a regular cdr and then tried to burn some data on the music cd. Wouldn't work.
    But as said, don't pay for nothing.
    -M

Some playback devices seem to be picky about the type of disc they accept. The best I can tell you is that in over 15 years of owing computers, I've always used the least expensive media I could put my paws on...and they've always worked.

Apple II's used to use a one-sided 5-1/4 floppy. I used to do so much copying that the media started to become a major expense. I used a standard paper pucher to make a notch of the disc and used the other side. I had programs and files on both sides of the disc. The discs worked 10 years later.

What does this have to do with CD-Rs? Under the guise of "technical innovation" quite frankly it's a situation of shaky standards. When you couple this with potential defective (or misaligned) devices (both recording and playback), you can't be sure where problems lie.

Cheap discs aren't like cheap tape. Cheap discs won't ruin recording heads. If the disc works...it works. The determination is does it work in what you use for playback?

Unfortuantely, some of the best bargains in CD R media are unable to be purchased singularly for experimentation!

You should have no problem using "music" CDR's for data... I've done it a few times before - copying music compilations for friends and they repay me with boxes of "music CDR's" 'cos they think that's what I MUST be using

Only reason for buying those discs is for the 700meg music ones... 650's seem to work fine wherever you use them, but I've found most 700meg disks won't read in my CD audio drives or VCD player - or if they do, they jump around constantly - think its somethign to do with the narrower tracks on them, although the "650meg compatible" 700meg data discs seem okay and are now about 25p each